The American System
The purpose of the American System is to strengthen and unify the nation. It is ensured that America would be economically self-sufficient.
Nationalism is the love for ones country; the devotion, loyalty, and pride for ones country.
Sectionalism is putting a certain section of the country above your nation; loyalty to interests or sections of your own region of your country. Southerns did this with the tariff issue in 1828.
- Support for a high tariff to protect American Industries and generate revenue for the federal government
- Maintenance of high public land prices to generate revenue
- Preservation of the Bank of the United States to stabilize the currency
- Development of internal improvements such as roads and canals
- Leader of the Whig Party
- Was secretary of State under John Quincy Adams
- Was a speaker of the House of Representatives
- Senator of Kentucky
- War hawk
- Henry Clay was called "the Great Compromiser" because he played a big role in formulating the 3 landmark sectional compromises of his day.
- He was a nationalist
- Negotiator at the Ghent peace conference