Careers in Sports Medicine:
Sports Massage Therapist (NCBTMB)
Sports Massage Therapy as a Career
- Job Outlook: 153,700 people employed in this field
- Employment Trends: projected growth of 20% between 2010 and 2020
- Job Settings: Chiropractic offices, hospitals, sports organizations, rehabilitation and therapy centers, private practices, sporting events
Duties of a Sports Massage Therapist
- alleviate stress, tension, and pain from the location of an injury
- use massage techniques to increase strength and flexibility and prevent injury
- work with athletes on specific rehabilitation exercises n massage techniques to regain full range of motion after an injury or to prevent an injury
- Good communication skills
Average: $35, 830
Exceptional: $69, 070
"Massage Therapists." U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 5 Apr. 2012. Web. 10 Sept. 2013.
"2012 Massage Therapy Industry Fact Sheet." American Massage Therapy Association. American Massage Therapy Association, 17 Feb. 2012. Web. 10 Sept. 2013.
"Hazards of Being a Massage Therapist." Houston Chronicle. Hearst Communications, n.d. Web. 11 Sept. 2013.