St. Peter Museum of Architecture
Presenting: Renaissance Architecture
We are a Museum that showcases renaissance architecture. We try to have fun when presenting to the audience that comes to listen. We are not every well known around here but we are trying to change that by putting up these flyers.
Phone: 507- Museums
Web Address: www.st.petermuseum.com
Ponte Vecchio means old bridge in Latin. It is the most famous bridge in Florence and it spans the narrowest part of the Arno River. In the 1300's it was reconstructed two times due to flooding problems. The latest transformation made it better because unlike the roman technique it is held up bu segmental arches. This is because it stops it from excessively bowing the road.
Cathedral of Florence
Cathedral of Florence is also called Basiia di Santa Maria del Fiore. It was buit in 1294 and opened on March 25, 1436. The church was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio. This building is famous because of the architectural feature, the cupola or the dome. The dome was made by Filippo Brunelleshi. The difficult part was trying to figure out how to make a dome that isn't going to collapse under all the weight and had to make it a crossed a 140 foot gap. So instead of making a smooth rounded top, he made more of a pointed top.
In 1299 people of Florence laid a stone where to build the new government building. 33 years later the bell was raised into the bell tower and then it was completed. The bell tower stands 308 feet tall. The bell tower was used for alerting people of danger or of a public meeting. There were many artists that painted in the old palace like Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Giorgio Vasari, and Michelozzi Michelozzo. It was originally called Palazzo del Popol. Then it changed to Palazzo della Signoria. Then the Duke came in and changed it again to Palazzo Ducale. But once the Duke moved to Palazzo Pitti it was renamed to Palazzo Vecchio or old palace.
Leaning Tower of Pisa
August 9,1173 the building began as a bell tower. Just after the third floor in 1178 it began to lean slightly. The foundation was on a clay mixture which couldn't hold the building. It was put off for 100 years in hopes it would settle into the ground and wouldn't lean more after more floors are put in. In 1272 Giovanni di Simone stepped up to add four more floors. He tried to make one side of the wall taller than the other in hopes of having it not lean as much, but it didn't work out the way he wanted to. In 1319 the seventh floor was finished and the bell tower was added in 1372. Now the building has a leaden counterweight so that it doesn't fall over.