Fly Falcons Fly Circle Around the World! Issue date 1/6/23
HAPPY NEW YEAR! WELCOME BACK FALCONS!
A letter to our Falcon Parent/Guardian
Dear Parent / Guardian,
As a parent/guardian, it is important to support your child’s education. There are many ways to support your child’s academic, personal, and social growth.
How can I support my child?
- Encourage your child to take an active interest in his/her studies and to take pride in working hard in school.
- Provide a quiet, comfortable, and conducive study environment at home
- Communicate regularly with your child’s teacher and stay informed about your child's progress in school
- Help your child develop good study habits (i.e. regular study routines, organize study materials)
- Encourage your child to get involved in extracurricular activities and pursue interests outside of the classroom.
- Provide support and encouragement when your child encounters challenges or struggles in school.
How can I support my child’s teachers?
Positive parent-teacher partnerships are crucial to your child’s academic, social, and personal
growth. Support from parents/guardians like you is incredibly valuable to teachers and can help
to create a consistent and collaborative learning environment for students.
- Communicate regularly and directly with teachers (i.e. ClassDojo, ParentSquare) to stay informed about your child’s progress and respectfully/professionally discuss any questions/concerns.
- Reinforce positive behaviors and study habits at home.
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences and other meetings to discuss your child's education.
- Volunteer in the classroom or on school field trips.
- Show appreciation for teachers' hard work and dedication
- Build school community, such as supporting school fundraisers and events
What are my child’s key responsibilities, in and out of the classroom?
- Attend class regularly and on time
- Participate in class discussions and activities
- Complete assignments and homework on time and to the best of his/her ability.
- Study for exams and assessments.
- Respect the rights and property of others, both in the classroom and in the broader school community.
- Adhere to school rules and expectations, both in the classroom and in the broader school community
(Please also review and refer the student/parent handbook on our school website if there
are any concerns/questions, https://advancement.sstschools.org/).
Both Parents/Guardians and students have the responsibility to take an active and engaged
approach to their education and have the power to contribute to a positive learning environment
and experience here at SST.
We as an SST family, would like to extend our gratitude for your continued support.
We truly cannot do this without teamwork from you, students, and our staff.
We are all family and will always want what is best for your child/children and their success.
We wish you and your loved ones a happy, healthy new year.
3RD-8TH Grade Winter NWEA MAP Assessment Schedule
NWEA MAP Growth tests will be administered next week.
Here is some advice to our parents about testing!
The Night Before the Testing:
·Get a good night's sleep. Kids need a full 8 hours of sleep.
·Self-Talk: give your child a few phrases that can motivate him/her "I can do it."
·Prepare your child’s snacks, pencils, clothes, etc. the night before.
· Remind your child to remain focused and no talking/playing during the test
On The Testing Day
·Eat a good, healthy breakfast.
·Do relaxing activities like taking deep breaths, tensing muscles and then relaxing them, talking about something unrelated to Test.
·Arrive early to school. (Testing will start ASAP)
·Remain calm and positive.
Good luck to our Falcons!
AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS
If you have not joined a club, but would like to this semester, now is the time! Please choose the clubs your child want to sign up for. Please make your selections in a way so that you do not have any scheduling conflicts. Selecting a club does not guarantee that your students will be able to join that club since each club/organization has limited spots available.
Your child will be able to choose up to two clubs and will be offered on a first come first serve basis. Once all spots are filled, no one else will be allowed to join that club.
Students who were in a club during 1st semester will be automatically enrolled and payment information will be shared with parents. If your child does not want to participate in the club this semester, please reach out to Ms. Heredia at email@example.com
Please review the after-school club details in the link below and click on the Club Registration Form.
Payment information will be provided once club enrollment is finalized during the 2nd week of meetings.
After School Clubs Details - Newsletter
Gifted and Talented Spring Referrals
School of Science and Technology Advancement is now accepting gifted and talented REFERRALS for students in grades K-8 for the gifted and talented screening process. Completed forms must be submitted no later than January 31, 2023 for students to take the G/T test this Spring 2023. Test results will be notified in May 2023. *Students must wait 1 full year in order to be retested.
Please submit all forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING EVENTS -- MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Symposium Showcase Jan 25, 2023 at 3:30pm
Projects from Kinder to 8th Grade will be on display for parents, students, community members to view on January 25th, 2023 at 3:30 in the Gym. We will have an award ceremony at 4 PM and our top finalists will receive achievement medals. *A finalists list will be published in our next newsletter
7th Grade San Jacinto Field Trip
Our 7th Grade Students will have a field trip on Friday Jan 27, 2023.
For more information, please contact Mr. Agho Otoghile: email@example.com
Field trips to the San Jacinto Monument consist of a virtual pre-visit lesson, a related activity while at the Monument, and a post-visit activity. The virtual pre-visit lesson is offered via Playposit, an interactive web-based video platform. Schools do not need to have an account with Playposit to access the lessons. The post-visit activity is provided as a PDF.
You can access your pre-visit lesson and post-visit activity here: https://www.playposit.com/playlist/3mjkt286xj6
Home Visit Request
If you would like to schedule a home visit (in person or virtual), please submit a Home Visit Request Form. Our goal is to visit all of our parents! We are looking forward to meeting with you!
HOME VISIT REQUEST FORM
Some of the many benefits of Home Visits
- Increase in overall student achievement
- Decrease in student discipline
- Increase in student attendance
- Feeling of trust, mutual respect, and accountability by parents, students and staff
- Strengthened family and school connection
School Breakfast & Lunch Menu
You may check out our school menus and nutritional information on the following website:
You can also download the app to your phone under the app name: Nutrislice
Then type in SST to find your SST campus. It's that EASY!
Click on the menu for breakfast, lunch, or snack. Once you click on one of those options, it will take you to the actual menu for the week.
Join Our Facebook Group
Hello Falcon Parents!
Thank you for being a member of our community. As parents of the beSST students, we are offering a “Parent Perk” exclusively for VIPs through a Community Facebook Group for school. Very Important Parents, please follow the link below and ask to join. You’ll be instructed to enter the following password for access:
You must enter the password above to be accepted into the group.
At this time, we are only allowing campus administrators to post content but you’ll be able to comment and interact with other SST Advancement parents in our posts. This will be a place to share what’s happening on campus in a safe, private environment. I’m looking forward to connecting with you in this group.