Ed 14 December 7, 2020
Wednesday, December 9th is our second Unity Day of the 2020-2021 school year. The theme of this Unity Day is Diversity. At Bates, we are fortunate to have a school with students and staff from a variety of different cultures. We know that our diversity is our strength. On December 9th, we encourage everyone to wear orange to show that we are united in kindness, acceptance, and inclusion. There will also be a special lesson about Diversity during Building Community. We look forward to seeing lots of orange as we celebrate our amazing diversity!
Bates forms Team for Polar Bear Plunge!
The Polar Bear Plunge has been a major fundraiser for the Special Olympics of Maryland for 25 years. This year, they are facing an uphill battle as the plunge will not be able to take place at Sandy Point State Park and will be completely virtual this year. We are inviting our Bates family to join our plunge team! It is free to join and you simply decide how you'd like to 'plunge!' If you raise at least $50, you get an amazing sweatshirt too. The best part is that it is an easy fundraiser that you can email to friends and family or post on your social media pages and it is for a great cause!
BONUS: If our Bates Blizzard Plungers raise $5,000 or more, Ms. Hicks will plunge into the frosty Magothy River and record it for all to see!!!!
If you are interested, follow these steps to join our team:
- click this link here https://support.somd.org/team/333321
- click "JOIN TEAM" on the left
- Follow the steps to set up your page
- IT'S FREE!!!!
You can freeze for a great cause AND help us get Ms. Hicks in the river 🙂
Check Your Grades
Academic Support is offered during Club Time!
During the 2nd quarter, in addition to our clubs, we will be offering academic support during club time (11:10-11:50 M/T/Th/F). These will be by drop-in codes according to the days and organized by grade. Please see the attached sheet for grade level/content drop ins and directions on how to join. Students do not need to have the teacher leading the support in order to 'drop in!'
ATTN 8TH GRADE PARENTS | Private School Applications
Are you applying to a Private High School? Please follow the below guidelines:
- Private School Recommendation Forms and signed parental records releases should be emailed to the Counseling Secretary, Ms. Teresa Gibson (email@example.com). Please provide application deadlines for the schools your student is applying.
- In your request, please include the names of your student's recommendation choices, typically this would be the grade level counselor and two teachers.
- Once all teacher/counselor recommendations have been received by the Counseling Secretary, your student's transcript, grade history, 1st marking period report card and recommendations will be emailed to the requested private school(s). You will then receive a confirmation email letting you know items have been submitted.
HOLIDAY GIVING OPPORTUNITIES
Bates Students Start Seats and Feets Drive
A group of Bates Students are making a difference in their community. Gemma Love, Kendall Golder, Tanner Crosby, Trevor Price, Grace Feldmann, and Elaine Jeffries wanted to help local children whose families are accessing help through the West Annapolis Pop Up Pantry. They decided to collect underwear and socks for Annapolis kids.
Donations can be dropped off at Michael E Busch Annapolis Library, Hillsmere library, and Eastport Library.
Questions? Contact WABAMD2@gmail.com.
Bates Parent Feeds Everyone!
Text FeedAnneArundel to 76278 to donate or if you would prefer, the local pantry is looking for adult and infant diapers, wipes, hygiene products, cleansers, black beans, Masaseca and tortillas. These items can be dropped of at Bread and Butter Kitchen. Questions?, Contact Sarah Daniels-Larson,
Bates Food Pantry
If you would like to VOLUNTEER to help create bags, contact Amy Beller. If you would like to donate items to the food pantry, check out our WISHLIST (Please keep in mind that the building will be closed over winter break).
Support the PTA through AMAZON SMILE
When you are shopping on Amazon, use Amazon Smile, and designate Bates as your Charity. Amazon Smile will donate 0.5% of your purchases to the Bates PTA. 1. Go to smile.amazon.com. 2. Sign in toyour Amazon account (If you are new to Amazon, you will need to create an account). 3. Under “Select a Charity”, go to “pick your own”, and type in “Bates Middle School”. 4. Select “Wiley H. Bates Middle School PTA”. 5. You must shop through Amazon Smile *not Amazon* for Bates PTA to receive donations.
The Sharing Foundation
YEARBOOK NEEDS YOUR HELP
Let's make this yearbook one to remember! Since Ms. Grimail (yearbook advisor) is unable to be everywhere to take photos of our school year memories, she needs YOUR help! Students, Families and, Parents of Bates Middle School--please, use this google form to submit photos to add to our 2020-2021 yearbook!
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Ms. Grimail via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Google Form for Photo Uploads: https://forms.gle/sLaDUtbc63pYnqpw5
Check out the quick resource within the google form on HOW TO TAKE A PORTRAIT for the yearbook! ALL Bates students will need to submit their own portrait to add to the yearbook (must be current & following the guidelines)!
*Information about ordering a yearbook will be coming out soon! Stay tuned to PTA emails, Cougar Chronicle, and ConnectED messages for further information!*
In the Community
All resources posted in the Cougar Chronicle are also posted in the One Bates Website.
Upcoming Food Distributions
· People's Park, 44 Calvert Street Annapolis, MD, every Tuesday in November, 12:00pm -2:00pm
· Asbury United Methodist Church, 87 West St Annapolis MD, has a food giveaway every Wednesday & Friday 9am-11pm
· Heritage Baptist Church, 1740 Forest Drive Annapolis MD, has food giveaway every Tuesday 9:30am-11am (must provide id and proof of residency)
· First Baptist Church of Annapolis, 31 W. Washington Street, gives away pantry bags and restaurant prepared meals every Saturday, 11 am - 1 pm
Delivery and transportation options are available for those unable to pick-up in person. Call Office of Emergency Management at 410-260-2211 to Schedule a Fresh Food Delivery Option.