Fourth Grade PEAK
September 16, 2014
We have a class Slogan: We "mustache" Ask Questions to Learn. Your child is invited to create a trademark or illustration for this slogan for our class contest. We will vote on the submissions next week.
THEME: Kids CAN
KIDS CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
- We reviewed how to access information from print and online resources. Our online resource focus: Databases, Search Engines, World Wide Web ( especially truth in the internet).
- Today we continued to build background knowledge on possible humanitarians to study --- students looked at websites & books and took notes highlighting the humanitarians' impact on humanity. We spent the majority of our time narrowing down our list of humanitarians discovered to a list of top 3. Students then filled out a Google Form to tell me who they want to study and WHY. If your child did not finish this Google Form (3 did not - so ask your child), he/she needs to finish this at home. It can be accessed through student email. Today was a big day to read and gather information - students want to select a person/ organization to study that is really interesting!
- Topic Study: Students are busy taking notes. Some students wrote an essential question. I will look at these to give feedback to make sure the questions are deep and require research and original thinking. Some students started a presentation to share key vocabulary words and concepts in the topic study. The challenge here is to make sure their is depth of knowledge!
- Math: We continue to solve problems.
- Science: Today we finished our conclusions, follow up questions, and graphs for our second experiment. We had some technology challenges but the students successfully finished their first science lesson in Google Classroom! Next week, we will conduct our another paper towel experiment.
Note Taking Tips
- Students are actively using their Chrome books
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account - we should have fun with this!
- We introduced Edmodo another online learning tool!
Create a Graph:
- Learned how to make graphs online
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study