Bogangar Public School Update
Where are we now? Where are we heading?
The halfway point of our management plan: July 2013
Feedback is one of the most powerful influences on learning and achievement, but its influence can be either positive or negative. (Hattie et al 2007)
Teachers have engaged in PL sessions about feedback, the research on its effectiveness and its use in the classroom.
By end of 2012, school developed a Feedback Policy
WALT and WILF introduced into all classrooms
57% of students indicated that feedback is provided ( SPS Nov 2012)
Feedback linked to TARS expectations and process
Enact feedback policy
Support implementation of feedback with PL ( eg Langford Term 2 all teachers)
2013 Target: All students to improve at one cluster level between Term 1 and Term 4 2013
- Measuring Progress ( Visible Learning) All tchrs use the writing continuum to monitor student progress
- Tchrs produce an A sample of the genre they are teaching - shared in newsletters and on assemblies
- 7 Steps to Writing program - teachers trained
- The use of capacity matrixes for students to self assess using success criteria (David Langford & Visible Learning)
- Generic writing assessment tools produced in line with new syllabus documents.
Student Welfare: Solving the Jigsaw
Solving the Jigsaw is a multi-award winning early intervention and violence prevention program that works to reduce the incidence and impact of violence and bullying in children’s lives.
- Student welfare management group researched to find a program that would address the issues raised in the situational analysis eg Bullying concerns, bystander behaviour, lack of behaviour improvement
- 3 teachers trained (9 days) in Jigsaw
- SDD : Staff training in Jigsaw
- Commenced implementation in the classrooms with the guidance of a Jigsaw facilitator one day/week.
- After 5 weeks - T and D staff mtg held to review progress
- Facilitator was funded by P&C term 1, Fundraising Term 2 ( Woolworths) and funding has been secured from the Centre for Non Violence in Victoria for Semester 2.