Principal's Corner #21
January 21, 2019
Quality Standard IV states that Teachers demonstrate professionalism through ethical conduct, reflection, and leadership and more specifically, Element B states Teachers link professional growth to their professional goals. Below are the levels for this element.
The teacher reflects on and engages in professional learning activities aligned to:
- Colorado Academic Standards.
- School and district goals.
- Professional goals and growth plans
...and the teacher:
- Applies knowledge and skills learned through professional learning to improve student outcomes.
- Seeks performance feedback from supervisor and/or colleagues to improve practice.
...and the teacher:
- Implements performance feedback from supervisor and/or colleagues to improve practice.
- Applies research as a key component of ongoing learning and development.
...and the teacher:
- Uses data to monitor and evaluate instructional strategies acquired through professional learning.
- Reflects on and adjusts instruction resulting in student growth.
...and the teacher:
- Self-selects professional learning beyond district/school offerings that builds instructional expertise.
The Office of Professional Learning Newsletter (included below) provides a quick snapshot of various PD offerings. If you are looking to engage in professional learning opportunites, this newsletter is worth taking a look; there are some great opportunities coming up.
Professional Development Opportunities
Please complete the Beyond Diversity and Custodial Services Report Card Google Form below.
Hello, teachers! This year, in addition to my role as COT’s Math Liaison, I am also part of the Elementary Math Cohort. As a cohort, we have been exploring innovative math instructional practices, including implementing more of a workshop model with Bridges. Are you looking to workshop-ify your math class more? Are you trying to add more rigor to the Bridges curriculum? Are you wondering how to address PLC questions 3 and 4 in your math class without having to add yet another program or book? Well, look no further! With our limited time together as a staff, Katie has offered to provide me with a sub day so I can share my learning with you. Please reserve your plan time on Friday, February 8 so I can come share – if you choose, this PD could even be your PLC time for the week.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Practical, little-to-no prep tools you can take and immediately use in your math class
- Planning tools that will help you plan for KIDS, not ability levels
- Fun with your math liaison – I’ll even bring treats!
See you on the 8th!
Supply List Reminder
It’s hard to believe we are already making plans for the 2019-2020 school year, but it’s time to work on supply lists.
Kindergarten lists need to be turned into me NO LATER THAN Wednesday, January 23th.
1st through 5th need to be turned into me NO LATER THAN Wednesday, March 27th.
Please keep the following in mind when created the lists.
- No more than 48 pencils
- No more than 9 glue sticks
- Never ask for money on the list
- Do not list name brands as a requirement (keep it general i.e. washable markers, sandwich bags etc.)
- Keep the entire list by grade level under $50 (including kits from an outsourced company).
Hi Cottonwood Staff,
It’s time for our 2nd Annual Cottonwood Spaghetti Night! Last year was our first time providing this community event and it was a huge success. The highlight of the night was the teacher and staff participation!
Please join us on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 in the Cottonwood Creek Ristorante to help us serve a spaghetti meal to Cottonwood families! We will have two different sittings, one at 6:15 and the other at 7:15.
If you would like to participate, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can be part of this fun event!
Paula Hruska and Jenn Bub
If you are interested in being a cooperative teacher for the 2019-20 school year, please let me know ASAP!
Skate City - Teachers and Staff, we'd love to see you there!
As you all reflect on the stories shared, what themes/topics did you hear? Using the link below, please submit your responses. You may submit up to 6 entries per why story (doing a separate submission for each story shared).
When thinking about the Saints work you do everyday, who has impacted the person you are today? What did this person do that changed you? What drives you? What keeps you coming back everyday? What gives you purpose? All these questions will help guide you in writing your story. Don't forget to write your WHY story by Wednesday, January 30th.
Use the form below to sign up for a PST Pre-Referral Meeting
PTO E-Tales: Available Sunday Night
Upcoming Testing Windows
Access: January 14-February 15
CMAS: March 25-April 19
CCSD Common 5th Grade Assessment: March March 4-15
Other Important Dates
- Monday, January 21: No School, Martin Luther King, Jr Day
- Wednesday, January 23: Katie and Ashley out all day
- Thursday, January 24: Katie and Ashley out all day
- Thursday, January 24: PTO Luncheon
- Friday, January 25: Ashley out in the AM
- Tuesday, January 29: SpEd Collaboration Day, Conference Room during planning
- Wednesday, January 30: District PASS Meeting 6:00pm at CCHS
- Thursday, January 31: Ashley out all day
- Friday, February 1: Ashley out all day
- Friday, February 1: Jump Rope for Heart Assembly at 1:30pm
- Monday, February 4: Ashley out all day
- Tuesday, February 5: CMS Orchestra/Choir Program, Gym at 1:50pm
- Tuesday, February 5: Skate City 4-6pm - Hope some of us can attend.
- Thursday, February 7: Sister Schools/Guiding Coalition out in the AM
- Thursday, February 7: 4th Grade Program 6:30pm
- Friday, February 8: Ashley out in the AM
- Tuesday, February 12: Katie and Ashley out in the morning
- Wednesday, February 13: Katie out in the AM
- Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Please join us in the Cottonwood Creek Ristorante to help us serve a spaghetti meal to Cottonwood families! We will have two different sittings, one at 6:15 and the other at 7:15.
- Monday, February 18: No School, Presidents Day
- Tuesday, February 19: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, February 18-21: PLC Summit in Phoenix, Katie and Ashley gone
- Friday, February 22: End of Data Collection
- Friday, February 22: Katie and Ashley out in the afternoon
- Tuesday, February 26: Battle of hte Books Semi-Finals, Heritage ES 4-5:30PM
- Thursday, February 28: Jump Rope for Heart (during specials)
- Thursday, February 28: Katie out in the AM
- Friday, March 1: Ashley out in the AM
- Friday, March 1: Sock Hop
- Saturday, March 2: DI Tournament, Grandview HS
- Monday, March 4-Friday, March 8: Conference Week - More information to come.
- Thursday, March 7 and Friday, March 8: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, March 11: Class Picture Day
- Monday, March 11: Battle of the Books Finals, Cottonwood, 4-5:30PM
- Tuesday, March 12: Katie and Ashley out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: Katie out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: School Accountability Meeting, 6-7pm Innovation Space
- Thursday, MArch 14: Ashley out all day
- Thursday, March 14: 3rd Grade Program, 6:30PM
- Friday, March 15: Katie and Ashley out all day
- Monday, March 18-Friday, March 22: SPRING BREAK