Guidance Dept Newsletter - LFMS
2017-18 4th Quarter - Edition 5
The Final Quarter of the School Year Has Arrived!
Student of the Month Focus
Our Student of the Month awards focus on three qualities - Academic Excellence, Outstanding Effort, and a Leadership focus in the area of our monthly PRIDE theme. Teachers and staff will be looking for students who portray excellence in one of these areas. Students of the Month will be recognised during PRIDE time. The 4th Quarter Leadership expectations are as follows:
Pride Expectation: Dependability
Dependability is defined as the quality of being able to be counted on or relied upon. For example, when you always do everything that you say you will and don't make promises you can't keep shows an example of dependability.
Theme: The focus this month is Being a Dependable Friend. Your challenge this month is to identify your dependable friends and the qualities that make you believe they are dependable and to improve your own friendship qualities to be a better dependable friend yourself.
Pride Expectation: Engaged
Engaged means to commit oneself to do something; to concentrate on a task and be actively involved with interest.
Theme: This month's focus is Engaged Until the End. Your challenge is this month is to take a moment to slow down and focus on each and every assignment you have and complete it with your best quality work. It is easy to get sloppy and put less effort into work at the end but be steadfast and show your perseverance through to the end.
Do You Know or Have a Dependable Friend?
- Who is the first person you think of when you find yourself in some kind of trouble or in distress? What is it about this person that makes you think of them first?
- What friend(s) do you have that you can count on to be there for you always regardless of where they are? Can you think of a time s/he has been there for you?
- Do you have a friend you know you can call or text anytime of day or night and know that they will be there to just listen? Is this someone whose shoulder you know you can cry on?
- What friend(s) can you count on to follow through with a promise to do something for you when they said they would? Have they ever broken a promise without good cause?
- Do you have a friend who helps you solve problems without even asking? Do they do more than just help you but also help you find a solution?
- Do you have a friend who always says "Yes" whenever you are in need? Do you know they will never leave you stranded?
- Do you have a friend that will help you make the right decisions and stand up to you and tell you 'no' when 'no' is the right thing to do? Do they help keep you from doing the wrong thing?
You can be a dependable friend too!
How Learning Has Evolved from the "Factory Model" to a "More Engaged Model"
Are You Engaged in Your Learning?
Final "Tesoro Family" Schools Parent Educational Evening
Mark your calendars for the following parent informational evening event sponsored by our Tesoro Family Schools Parent Teacher Student Associations. The final Parent Information Evening will be:
Tuesday, May 22nd – Parenting in a Digital Vaping World - Presented by Deputy Clay Cranford - 6:30pm - 8:00pm in the Las Flores Middle School MPR
Vaping and Marijuana are BIG BUSINESS and our kids are the target. The drug culture is perpetuated by social media as well as EASY ONLINE ACCESS to vape devices, “vape juice”, and other liquified drugs. Where you are a parent, relative, or neighbor, we invite you to learn about this FAST GROWING trend and what you can do to help our children stay drug-free.
We hope you've enjoyed and learned from the multiple Parent Information Evenings offered this school year.
Counselors Corner Resource Personal-Social Domain including stress management, conflict mediation, grief, and social skills
College and Career Guidance Information about high school graduation requirements, college admissions, and career choices.
Ms. Brittney Pacini - School Counseling Graduate Student
Counseling Center - L101
College and Career Center, Groups, Games Room, Guidance Workshops, Bear Den, Antonio's Store
Guidance Dept Waiting Area
Check out the bulletin board with useful tips and information while you wait to see your advisor or counselor.
College Pennant Pinwheel
A small display of the variety of colleges available to students.