Requirements for a Poisson Distribution
- The variable for x will represent the number of times an event occurs over some interval (time, distance, area, or volume).
- The occurences have to be random.
- The occurences cannot be dependent of each other.
- The occurences have to be evenly divided over the interval.
On average, there are 178 sesame seeds on each Big Mac bun. Find the probability that a Big Mac bun has 170 sesame seeds.
What are the notations for Possion Distribution?
- u: the average number of occurences of the event happening
- x: the specific number of occurences you are looking for
In the example...
- u = 178 sesame seeds
- x = 170 sesame seeds
So, what is the probability of finding a Big Mac bun with 170 seeds?