The history behind February 14th
The History Behind the Holiday
- Valentine's Day is named after the patron Catholic Saint Valentine however, it is unknown which of the many Valentine's specifically.
- Traditional Valentine's cards started in the 1400's.
- The U.S.,Canada, U.K., France, Australia, and Mexico all celebrate Valentine's day.
- During the 5th century France believed February 14th was the beginning of birds' mating seasons, providing the date for this famous holiday.
Valentine's Day Flowers
Giving flowers became a custom in the 1700's when Charles the Second of Sweden introducing the Persian language of flowers to Europe. Now, the flowers could deliver a message for the sender. Roses symbolize love and passion, making them a popular choice for Valentine's Day.
- Floral Arrangements sold on Valentine's Day account for 40% of annual revenue
- Global floral sales total approximately $1.36 billion
- In 2010 the average client was under age 35.
- 73% of floral customers on Valentine's Day are men