Chapter One Project
Madison Jones 4th Period
MATTER & ITS PROPERTIES FLOWCHART
What is a metallic alloy?
- a metal made by combining two or more metallic elements, especially to give greater strength or resistance to corrosion
How are alloys made?
- There are three ways to make an alloy. The first way you they can be made is heat and melt to make a liquid, then mix, and let cool into a solid form. The second way alloys can be made is by turning the components into a powder substance, mix them together, and fuse them with a combination of high pressure and high temperature. The third, most common, way alloys are made is making fire beams of ions into the surface layer of a piece of metal.
Examples of alloys:
- coin metal, used to make U.S. coins
- brass bronze, used in inexpensive jewelry
- duralumin, used in aircrafts, boats, and railroad cars
- nichrome, used in toasters and electric heaters
- phosphor bronze, used in boat propellers
- sterling silver, used in jewelry and art objects