Week of September 28, 2015
School Announcements & Updates
- After much reflection and conversation, we will be holding off on the "official" start date for PLC meetings. With the deadlines of SLOs, Differentiated Supervision Proposals, and Professional Growth Plans on the horizon, we will wait until some things are taken off "our plates" before adding.
Student Information Verification Forms
- Student Information Verification forms will be returned to teachers after office entry and health room copying are complete. Once you receive them back in your mailbox please maintain them in the classroom. If you have not sent your verifications to the office, please do so immediately. We use the information in eschool for early dismissals and late pickups. It is imperative that it be accurate.
Uniform Picture Day
- October 5th is Uniform Picture Day. 3rd-5th Grade will also complete height and weight checks on this day. More details will be sent in an upcoming email.
There are 5 FRIDAYS in OCTOBER!
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you want to wear jeans EVERY FRIDAY this month pay $20 (Support Staff- $10) to help fight against this awful disease. All money will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Only interested in a couple of Fridays...donate $5 (support staff- $3) for each Friday that you would like to wear jeans. Money can be given to Jen in the main office. Those that donate for the entire month will receive a pink bracelet to wear each Friday! All others will receive a sticker to wear.
Here are some facts to think about:
- Each year, more than 200,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and nearly 2,000 cases are diagnosed in men in the U.S.
- One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- One case of breast cancer is diagnosed among women every two minutes in the U.S.
Show your support by wearing pink on Fridays and consider donating, because everyone deserves a lifetime.
District Updates & Announcements
We continue to see a tremendous spike in the usage of YouTube for streaming music and music videos. Please understand that the SDoL shares its internet connection and bandwidth between all schools. Streaming music and videos will definitely have an effect on internet speeds and impact online testing access.
It is important for teachers to know that network connections will be faster when laptops are “hard wired” into the dedicated network port (cabled to the jack in the wall). Using the wireless connectivity will not provide the most efficient connection. This should be resolved by adding new Access Points and upgrading some of the older ones. Our next step is to increase the District’s bandwidth.
Personal Day Requests
Staff is encouraged to enter personal day requests as soon as you are aware of the dates you will be out. The sooner a sub request is entered into the system, the greater the chance of filling that assignment. Requests for personal days should be responded to within 72 hours. Please email me if you have not received notification within 72 hours of the request.
Sumdog Math Contest
Sumdog’s first Lancaster-Lebanon Math Contest starts Friday, October 16th, and will run until the following Thursday. Participation is free and there are prizes to be won!
The contests are aimed at grades K-8, but other grade level students may also participate if a teacher feels it is appropriate. Students can compete online either at school or at home using the website or the App. In order to join in the fun, teachers can enter their class here: http://www.sumdog.com/enter_contest. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. SDoL typically has several classes that place in the Top10.
Space Telescope Science Institute Programming
Attached please find information related to two family STEM events taking place at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore. Contact information for questions and registration is included on each flyer.
District Art Show
The SDoL Fall District Art Show will be held on Friday, October 2nd, 6:00-8:00 pm, Saturday, October 3rd, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, and Sunday, October 4th, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 pm. Selected artworks from K-12 will be displayed. The Ware Center on 42 North Prince Street will be hosting. It will be open on First Friday and part of the Lancaster Fall ArtWalk, and there is no charge to attend. Please note that art teachers will set up the show on Friday afternoon, October 2nd before 5:00 pm, and will take down on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 pm.
Elementary Gradebook – Cluster Q&A Sessions
As part of the elementary gradebook implementation, IT and OTL will be offering Q&A sessions for teachers after school. These sessions are voluntary and are not training sessions. They are opportunities for teachers to ask questions to IT and OTL as it relates to the elementary gradebook. Teachers should sign up through My Learning Plan. Please note that the sessions will stop showing in MLP two days prior to the scheduled date. The session will also be canceled if there are less than ten people scheduled. IT will contact those individuals affected by the cancellation to have their questions answered. This information is also being posted in the Teacher Access Center.
- Tuesday, September 29th 3:45 – 4:30 East – B123
- Wednesday, October 7th 3:45 – 4:30 Lafayette – Media Center
IU 13 Elementary STEM PLC
This year, the IU 13 has redesigned their math and science teacher networking groups at all levels. As part of our District membership, we are able to send teachers to these networking meetings. Math and science have been consolidated into an Elementary STEM offering. Please see the attached flyer for details and consider sending a building representative. The same person does not need to attend each time, so there is the option to involve more than one person per building. Please let Ashley know if you are interested in attending.
- Gradebook Q&A Session (MUST REGISTER ON MYLP): 3:45 – 4:30 East – B123
- Lipisko Out, Mercado Out 1/2 Day
- Celebrate Linda Frank Day!
- Rose Acevedo's Birthday
- SLOs DUE
- Professional Growth Goals Due
- Bucket Filler Tickets due to Mr. Wertman's mailbox or office after announcements
- Mercado Out
- Submit Differentiated Supervision Plan (Action Research or Peer Coaching)
- SLOs Due
- Professional Growth Goals Due
- District Art Show Ware Center
- Uniform Picture Day (Auditorium)
- 3rd-5th Height/Weight Screening (Media Center & Multipurpose Room)
Our K5 & 3rd Grade Teams worked diligently over the course of two days in planning and creating LDC Modules that just might go for National Jurying!
WICK WIZ QUIZ UPDATE
WEEK OF 9/21 ANSWER: Remember as a child how you would laugh so many times
throughout the day. The average child laughs 300 to 500 times a
day while the average adult laughs only about 15 times a day. Read MORE
WEEK OF 9/21 WINNER: Rachel Tadlock has won an AMAZON gift certificate.
SUBMIT YOUR ANSWERS TO THIS WEEK'S QUIZ
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 29TH IS NATIONAL COFFEE DAY- ANSWER JAVA RELATED TRIVIA QUESTIONS!