Traveling to Haiti!
By: Hayley Furler
Cholera outbreak in Haiti, 2011.
- 684,085 cases
- 8,361 deaths
- Bacterial disease that causes diarrhea and dehydration.
- spread through contaminated food or water
- Protect yourself by taking an antibiotic, water purification tablets, and oral rehydration salts with you.
Vaccinations/Medicines Before You Go
- measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine
- diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine
- varicella (chickenpox) vaccine
- polio vaccine
- your yearly flu shot
- Hepatitis A
- Malaria prescription(take with you)
Hotel & Flight
In January, from the 15th to the 20th:
$965 to go to Port Au Prince from Cedar Rapids and stay at Best Western Premier Hotel.
- Highs of 85 degrees
- Lows around 74 degrees
- About 2 inches of rain pur month
Things I Did
- Visited the caves of Haiti
- Went inside cathedrals
- Spent lots of time on the beach
When you get back...
- Persistant diarrhea
- Skin problems
For more information go to...
- CDC website
- Haiti tourism website
- Trip advisor website