If we don't stop this.......who will?
- More than 3 million reports of child abuse are made in the United States each year.
- Losing on average between 4-7 children every day from child abuse and neglect.
- Approximately 70% of children that die from child abuse are under the age of 4 years old.
- As many as 2/3 of people that are in treatment of drug abuse were victims of child abuse and neglect.
- Many people that have been abused of neglected has a child tend to repeat that horrible cycle.
It's more than..
Tips to talking to abused children
2.don't interrogate (don't ask leading questions, let the child say it in there own words, you may confuse and fluster the child, this will make it harder for them to continue the story)
3. reassure the child did nothing wrong (it takes a lot for a child to come forward and tell them there biggest I secret, tell them that they did nothing wrong)
4.safety comes first (if you feel that your safety or the child's safety would be threatened then leave it to the professionals to find a solution to the problem)
Looking for symptoms
2.changes in behavior (scared,anxious,depressed,withdrawn, or more aggressive)
3.returning to earlier behaviors (thumb-sucking, wetting the bed, fear of the dark and strangers)
4.fear of going home (express apprehension or anxiety about leaving school(
5.changes in eating (gain weight or lose weight)
6.changes in sleeping (nightmares or trouble falling asleep which results in tiredness or fatigue)
7.changes in school performance or attendance (struggle with concentrating or adults may have them stay home to try and hide the injures)
8. Lack of personal care or hygiene (may appear uncared for, constantly dirty, body odor, lack of clothing for the weather)
9.risk taking behaviors (mat engage in drugs, alcohol, or carrying a weapon)
10.inappropriate sexual behaviors ( may use explicit sexual language)
Child abuse cast a shadow the length of a life time ~Herbert Ward~
Who to contact
If you believe the child is in imminent danger call 911