FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE MINI PROJECT
Poems, books movies and more
Figurative Language from Poems
The author choose this to make the feeling more expressed.
From One Last Shot by: Jacqueline Lorene Brown "Anxiously sprinting into the arena to the thundering chants" (personification)
The author choose this to make the reader hear and feel what is happening.
Figurative Language from The Green Glass Sea
- "Dewey feels the fear creep back into her stomach like a trickle of ice water" (5). Simile; The author choose to say this because it shows how and describes Dewey's feelings.
- "Dewey feels the fear creep back into her stomach like a trickle of ice water" (5). Personification; Because fear can't creep, and the author put this in this sentence to also show feeling.
- "He leads her through an archway and into a sunny plaza, a city block-size square of winter-dead grass surrounded by buildings that look like they have grown right up out of the muddy ground" (26). imagery; The author put this in the book because they want to show you what the character's setting is.
- "Suze was sorry she hadn't brought Wonder Woman with her " (87). Alliteration; I think why the author choose this was because Wonder Woman is like a superhero.
- "Tangled like Spaghetti" (192). Simile; The author choose this because there is going to be trouble or something.
Figurative Language in the real world
Figurative Language in the real world cont.
Music, Movies, Papers, etc.
Dramatic Irony- Two people are engaged to be married but the audience knows that the man is planning to run away with another woman.
Extended Metaphor- “It never takes longer than a few minutes, when they get together, for everyone to revert to the state of nature, like a party marooned by a shipwreck. That’s what a family is. Also the storm at sea, the ship, and the unknown shore. And the hats and the whiskey stills that you make out of bamboo and coconuts. And the fire that you light to keep away the beasts.”(Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policeman’s Union. Harper, 2007
Allusion- “I was surprised his nose was not growing like Pinocchio’s.”
Idiom- Rub someone the wrong way - meaning to annoy or bother
Dr. Seel's Figurative Language Mini Research Project
"Dramatic Irony Examples." YourDictionary. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015
"Extended Metaphor - Examples and Definition." Literary Devices. N.p., 03 Nov. 2013. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.
"Google Images." Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.
The Green Glass Sea by: Ellen Klages
"EasyBib: The Free Automatic Bibliography Composer." EasyBib. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015