Taft Community School Newsletter, Week of Nov 20, 2023
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Taft Families,
We hope you all had a great weekend. The rain kept my family and I indoors but we took advantage and built a couple of air cannons from a Kiwi kit. It was very interesting and we had a lot of fun!
Thanksgiving holiday break has arrived! We hope you take this time to visit you friends and family and those you hold dear to you. We have many things to be thankful for! I would like to send my utmost thanks you to all parents, students and staff for all their hard work these past 12 weeks. As you know, Trimester 1 ended on Nov 9 and report cards were sent out this past Friday. Please use this Thanksgiving Break to rest, convive and enjoy your time with your loved ones. We have a short week this week. Tuesday is a minimum day with school ending from 1-1:35 pm. Let’s have a great week! Enjoy the break!
Enrollment for the new school year has begun. With that being said, we welcome prospective families to come tour Taft. Taft is a great and amazing place. The staff and students care about each other and we strive to provide the best education possible. Please let your friends and family know that school tours are now being offered on Thursday mornings from 8:30-9:30 am unless a school event is taking place.. Please call the main office at (650) 482-2416 to schedule a tour.
5th Grade Corner
5th-grade parents, the time has arrived for you to start thinking about middle school. We also have other 5th-grade events happening for your students. This past week we had a virtual meeting on Outdoor Education and we have a several events scheduled. See below.
Outdoor Education Presentation and Recording held on Wednesday, Nov 15 from 6-7 pm
MIT School Presentation / Feria de MIT will take place at Taft on Nov 28th at 8:15 am. All 5th-grade parents are welcome. Please register in the front office.
Field Trip to the Nutcracker play at Cañada College on Nov 30.
Taft is planning a field trip to Kennedy for 5th graders who may be interested in attending Kennedy in the 24-25 school year. The date is December 12, 2023. Please complete the following information by Tuesday, Nov 21, 2023 as we need to plan transportation.
Vision to Learn (VTL)
The Vision to Learn (VTL) Screening will take place on Tuesday, December 5th. See pictures for additional information. Attached is the opt-out letter which is in Spanish and English. If you do not want your child to participate in VTL, you can complete the opt-out letter and return it to the main office.
It is very important that all students attend school every day. Some families have received a letter in the mail informing them of absences in addition to a courtesy call. This includes all absences, excused and unexcused, etc. We understand that sometimes students have to miss school but it's important for them to attend every day. If you have any questions, please call the office or contact Ms. Arellano at email@example.com. Thank you.
The next SEPTAR meeting will be this Tuesday, Nov 21. See info below.
Breaking Barriers: IEP Workshop for Parents of Children in Special Education
Dr. Gabriela Perez, from the San Mateo County Behavioral Health Services, will be presenting about how to prepare for and understand the IEP process, as well as how to be a strong advocate for your child within the special education system.
This presentation will be spoken in Spanish, simultaneous interpretation will be available in English.
Tuesday, November 21, 2023
All families are welcome!
Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy 2023-24
On Tuesday, September 26, our School Site Council (SSC) approved the Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy for 2023-24. Both are linked below and are also found on our website in the Parent Hub under Parent Involvement. We ask that all parents complete the Taft Parent Compact by Dec 31, 2023.
Taft Parent Compact 2023-24 (complete by Nov 30, 2023)
Community School and Family Center Update
What is a Community School Specialist? And who is the Taft Community School Specialist?
My name is Yadira DiSiena and I am the new Community School Specialist at Taft Family Resource Center.
Part of my role consists of working closely with our MTSS TOSA to identify and support students with chronic absences. Students will be referred for services with me by our MTSS TOSA or Jocelyne Arriaga our Community School Coordinator (CSC).
What are the Community School Coordinator Goals:
Support with improving student attendance and access to wellness resources
Work closely with the Taft Community School Coordinator and Community Partnership Coordinator to identify and leverage new partnerships and resources
Develop outreach plans and lead family engagement efforts in collaboration with Taft’s CSC and team
Where will you see me?
Observing students during recess, student breaks, or in the classroom
Meeting with parents/caregivers at the Family Resource Center
Checking in with students at the Family Resource Center
Collaborating with Taft staff members (Nurse, Mental Health Clinicians, teachers, after-school care, etc.)
I look forward to collaborating with our Taft staff, students, and parents/caregivers in achieving academic and wellness goals for our students!
Picture Day Information
Pictures taken on October 3rd and November 7th are available for parents to view and order online.
Option 1: All parents who had a valid email listed in PowerSchool were sent an email from JostensPIX with a link to the JostensPIX website. Please check your email for instructions.
Option 2: View and order at https://shop.jostenspix.com/login
Event Code: FE293223
Also Needed: Powerschool Unique Student ID. Please call the school for this 6 digit number or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday Toy Sign-Up
As the holidays approach, The Taft Family Resource Center would like to share Holiday Toy distribution resources. If you are interested, the links below have more information and how you can register. If you have any questions, please get in touch with Toys for Tots or the Redwood City Holiday Toy and Book program directly.
Donations of Bottled Water and Granola Bars
We are asking for donations of bottled water and granola bars so that each classroom has some in case of an emergency. We accept bottled water packs (24-40) of 8 oz or more. Please drop off your donation at the front office or family center. Thank you very much!
- Tuesday, Nov 21: Minimum Day, Dismissal from 1-1:35 pm
- Nov 22-24: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- Thursday, Nov 30: Nutcracker Field Trip, 5th Grade
- Tuesday, Nov 30: School Site Council 6:10-7 pm
- Friday, Dec 1: Coastal Wildlife: Half Moon Bay In-Person Field Trip, 3rd Grade
- Tuesday, Dec 5: Vision to Learn Screening
- Dec 4- 8: Inclusive Schools Week
- Dec 5 & 7: Native Americans On-Campus Field Trip, 4th grade
- Thursday, Dec 7: Super Minimum Day, Dismissal at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, Dec 13: Second Harvest Food Distribution 2:30-4 pm
- Friday, Dec 15: Marine Science Institute, Kindergarten
- Tuesday, Dec 19: Physics Field Trip 4-5 Grades
- Dec 21 - Jan 8: Winter Break
- Tuesday, Jan 9: Students Return
Student Pick-Up At Dismissal Time
Please pick up your student at the appropriate dismissal time listed in our Bell Schedules. As mentioned above, our office closes at 3 pm and our office staff end their shift at that time as well. We have no staff available after 3 pm. Students who are picked up after 3 pm will have to wait inside the gated area without supervision.
- Please do not park in the staff parking lot in the morning and afternoon. The lot is reserved for staff.
- Please do not block our neighbors’ driveways at any time.
- Please drop off your students in the front drop-off zone. No parking is allowed along the curb. If you are going to park and walk your child to the gate, please park on Bay Rd and walk to the main gate. The RCPD will periodically patrol mornings and afternoons. Administration will be there to receive your students. Once students are dropped off at the main gate, students will be directed to go to their designated area which will be supervised by a staff member. Starting Tuesday, Sept 5, 2023, parents will not be allowed on campus moving forward unless it's a school-related event or have an appointment with a teacher or administrator. All visitors must check into the front office.
- All students need to be in full uniform and wear appropriate shoes every day unless it's a Free Day dress (last Friday of the month). Sandals and Crocs are not allowed on any day. Please refer to the Parent & Student Handbook for complete guidelines. If you need help with uniforms, please contact our Family Center.
- Please review Taft's Cell Phone Policy for Students. Students bringing a cell phone to school must check it in at the front office.
My Next Newsletter
Thank you for taking the time to read my updates. I will send my next newsletter by Monday, December 4, 2023.