Brought to you by your NoGa School Counselors - vol. 8
Students last names A - F
Students last names G - M
Students last names N - Z
National Foster Care Awareness month
Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month
- Just 38% of teen girls that have a child before the age of 18 earn a high school diploma
- Daughters of teen moms are 3X's as likely to become teen mothers themselves
For more information and to learn ways to help prevent teen pregnancy, please visit:http://thenationalcampaign.org/why-it-matters/teen-pregnancy
Local volunteer opportunities:
- Girls on the Run!
Help her reach the finish line!
- Caromont teen volunteers
CaroMont Health has opportunities to meet student volunteers needs and interests. If you would like more information on becoming a volunteer, call Volunteer Services at 704.834.2255. Applications available at: http://www.caromonthealth.org/For-Community/Volunteer.aspx
- Gaston County United Way
Get matched up with a volunteer opportunity that you care most about. Visit: http://unitedwaygaston.org/volunteer/
View local organizations that are looking for helpful volunteer. Whether you can offer 1 hour, 1 day, or are looking for an ongoing opportunity, Volunteer Match has many opportunities for youth of all ages. Visit: http://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Ranlo%2C%20NC
~ STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES ~
Participation in student activities helps with building character and building your resume so GET INVOLVED!!!
(9 - 12th grade students)
- Stay involved during the summer - check out this comprehensive listing of summer programs available: http://www.studenteducationprograms.com/north-carolina/
(10 - 12 grade)
'Read to Achieve' Summer Internship (unpaid)
- Gaston County high school students in grades 10-12 interested in working with elementary age students attending GCS "Read to Achieve" summer camp please see Mrs. Smith in the counseling office for an application.
- Application due date: MAY 15
- Questions/concerns, contact Becky Franco at (704)825-1872 or email@example.com.
(9 - 12 grade)
Teen Action Council (TAC)
- Now accepting applications for the 2016-2017 school year
- See Mrs. Smith in the counseling office for an application
- TAC aims to raise awareness and advocate for teens in Gaston County, with a goal of empowering youth.
- Application deadline is May 20
~ Mark your calendars ~
Gay Straight Alliance
Every Tuesday during 'B' lunch
See Mr. Bolden in the counseling office with any questions.
AP Exam testing
Students that signed up to take an AP exam, will be taking them at Gaston College on their assigned test day. Please see Mr. Bolden in the counseling office if you have any questions.
- Please note, students that signed up to take an exam but fail to do so will be required to pay a $15 fee per test.
Paul Mitchell school of Cosmetology
Interested in a career in Cosmetology? The Paul Mitchell school in Gastonia is offering 3 $1,000 scholarships to viable North Gaston high school applicants.
- Contact Shelby Myers for more information: (704) 864-8726 ext.115
Ivy league college information session
Come learn about the selective admissions process, scholarships and financial aid, academic programs and campus life of 5 of the countries more prestigious universities
- Brown University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Rice University and
- The University of Chicago
Session will be held in Charlotte. RSVP at: http://www.exploringeducationalexcellence.org/
Academic Awards Night
Program begins at 6:00pm in the auditorium
Students receiving an award will receive an invitation prior to the 24th.
~ Career Exploration ~
What career path are you looking to pursue?
Out of the box careers
In the beauty industry, a cosmetologist is more than just a hairstylist - they are people on the cutting edge of trends and styles in hair and beauty techniques, and they can transform their clients from simple to spectacular in a single sitting. According to the Princeton Review, cosmetologists “are often the initiators of style and change.” As one, you must learn to cut, color and style all types of hair, as well as do straightening, permanent waves, curling, weaves, extensions and other hair services.
- Wage: $28,770 annually
- Education: HS Diploma/Post-Secondary non-degree
- Local cosmetology schools include; Aveda Institute Charlotte, Paul Mitchell School, and Regency Beauty Institute