Switzerland Point Middle School
Raider Rap -May 1, 2023
From Ms. Carnall
Testing Season has arrived! Please review the testing information and calendar that is included in this edition of the Raider Rap. Please be sure to open the calendar attachment as the periods change around on testing days.
Continue reading for celebrations, reminders, and upcoming events.
Have a great day!
- Week of May 1:Teacher Appreciation Week: Please be sure to thank your student's Teachers!
- May 1: FAST and EOC Testing Begins
- May 5: Food Service Appreciation Day-be sure to thank our cafeteria staff!
- May 5: Gradventure
- May 10: School Nurse Day-say a special thank you to Nurse Kelly
SPMS Donation Link
Special Message on the Marquee
SPMS National Junior Honor Society is sponsoring an opportunity to send a special birthday or congratulations message to your student via the marquee in the front of the school. Cost is $25. Complete the form here to submit your request (there's a separate link in the form to pay via Schoolpay upon submitting your request). Requests are due the Friday prior to the event and will display the following week (Tuesday through Monday). Example: if you turn in the request on Friday, September 17 then your message will be displayed on Tuesday, September 21.
End of Year Reward Trip Behavior Expectations Reminder
We have already reviewed the school policies and expectations and the code of conduct at the start of the semester. We also outlined what the expectations are for earning the chance to attend the reward trip (and 8th grade activities) at the end of the year. In order to attend the trip (and 8th grade activities), students must not earn any one of the following:
·Any level 3 or level 4 discipline referral
· Any level 1 or level 2 referral that results in ISS (This includes ISS given for excessive tardies)
· Any referral that results in OSS
· More than 4 demerits
During the 1st semester we provided the students opportunities for growth and learning by allowing the demerits to restart at the beginning of 2nd quarter, wiping away any demerits previously earned. For 2nd semester all demerits earned will be cumulative for BOTH quarter 3 and quarter 4. Once the reward trip is paid for, we will be unable to give refunds or transfer the reservation to another student’s name.
Please review these expectations with your student if you think that the trip is something they might be interested in working towards.
State Testing Update:
- Help!!! We need SIX more parents to help proctor!! Proctors are needed for May testing! Please help us to monitor our testing rooms! Being a proctor is easy and is only for a few hours in the morning. Proctors are required, and we appreciate your help! More information about proctoring can be found here (Proctor Info – Switzerland Point Middle School (stjohns.k12.fl.us)) Please consider helping our testing season go smoothly and sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f4daeaa23abfd0-testing1#/
FAST/EOC/NGSSS Testing is in May!
- The bell schedule from May 1st- May 19th has some changes to accommodate for missed instructional time due to testing in the morning. The normal bell schedule will resume on May 22nd. Please see the attached bell schedule to plan accordingly. Also, see the attached testing calendar here: https://www-raider.stjohns.k12.fl.us/spring-testing-calendar/ to determine which day your student is testing. It is imperative that students are present and on time as testing sessions will begin promptly.
- This week, students have been told their testing locations for all tests. Students test in the same location for FAST Math and ELA but may have a different testing location if they are enrolled in a class that has an End of Course Exam (Algebra, Geometry, Biology and Civics). If your child is unaware of their FAST testing location, please reach out to their 1st period teacher. If your child in in Civics, Algebra, Geometry or Biology and does not know their testing location, please reach out to their EOC teacher.
- Only students who have an oral presentation accommodation on a 504 or IEP plan will need to bring their WIRED ear buds or headphones for testing (wireless ones are not acceptable).
- All students will need to bring their own handheld calculator. Please see the calculator policy for approved calculators: https://www-raider.stjohns.k12.fl.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/FAST-Math-Calculator-Policy.pdf . If you do not have the approved calculator, it can be purchased from Walmart, Target, or Amazon for about $10.
PM3 Testing Notification
Please be sure to read the PM 3 Guardian Notification Letter that is attached below. This letter outlines the policies for the third FAST administration that will be held in May.
Len Mattice Stop the Bullying Contest Winners!
Len Mattice is a former graduate from Nease High School and is currently a golfer on the PGA Tour. The Len Mattice foundation helps youth in NE Florida with raising awareness about bullying and creating a safe environment for them.
Congratulations to Lila Tantillo and Nicholas Suarez for their winning submissions, earning them prizes of $100.
7th grader, Lila Tantillo, submitted a beautiful poster with video explanation to uplift others and encourage people not to bully others. The poster also encourages others to stand up for what is right even when it is scary.
8th grader, Nicholas Suarez, created amazing websites that contained facts about bullying, as well as how we can all stop bullying from occurring. The judges were impressed with how professional Nicholas' website was.
Congratulations to Cooper Beauman who was the top prize winner of all of the submissions from 15 schools. Cooper was awarded $1,000 for being the top prize winner.
7th grader, Cooper Beauman, created a video in which he sang a song that he wrote himself, accompanied by his dad playing the guitar. The lyrics are impressive, and the performance is simply amazing.
Congratulations to these students for showcasing their talents and helping make our community a better place!
SPN (Swiss Point Now_ NEWS CELEBRATIONS
SPN News Crew students have learned a lot this year and produced some amazing shows. We are so very proud of all of their accomplishments. SPMS has 7 entries into the Jim Harbin awards and should be hearing back about our results soon. Good luck students and congratulations on all you have accomplished!
From Nurse Kelly
As we approach the end of the school year, all medications in the clinic must be picked up by May 26th, at noon. I can send home emergency medications, such as Epi Pens, inhalers, etc. in the student’s back packs. School policy does not allow for medications to remain in the school over the summer. Please call the clinic to make arraignments to pick up prescription medications. Medications orders must be completed each school year whether your child remains at Swiss Point or goes to another school. Please refer to the health clinic website for the most up to date forms.
The Health Clinic will be open August 7, 8, 9, 2023 for parents to drop off medication and paperwork.
Students entering 7th grade next year will need to provide the school proof of their Tdap vaccine before they can receive their schedule for the 2023/2024 school year. It is not too early to take care of this requirement. You can take your student to their private physician, St. Johns County Health Department, or a walk-in clinic. A receipt will NOT be accepted as proof of the Tdap vaccine. The vaccine must be documented on a Florida shot record (FL-680) and brought/emailed to the guidance office. Email forms to: Jennifer Corte @ Jennifer.Corte@stjohns.k12.fl.us
Movers for Moms Service Project Update
To all SPMS staff, students, and families,
Thank you SO much for your generous donations to Movers for Moms!
We collected 1,039 items to help women and families of domestic abuse.
Each month teachers are able to nominate students who display the pillar of character for the month. Those students are invited to have donuts with us at the end of the month and receive their certificates.
In the month of May we celebrate the pillar of Citizenship. We look for students who:
- Do their share to make their school and community better
- Get involved in community affairs
- Stay informed; vote
- Be a good neighbor
- Obey laws and rules
- Respect authority
- Protect the environment
April Character Counts Winners!
In the month of April, we celebrate ALL PILLARS. We look for students who display:
These students were celebrated on Friday, April 28. Here are the winners!
It isn't too late!! Auditions still happening on Wednesday's in May after school! Join us!
SPMS Basketball Summer Camps
2023 SPMS BASKETBALL CAMP
Switzerland Point Middle School will be hosting its Annual Summer Basketball Camp for boys & girls ages 6 – 14. The camp will have three one – week sessions
June 5 – June 29, 2023. This is a fun-filled camp where “Teaching Never Stops”. Do not be left out of this year’s camp because the camp fills up fast. Please check your child school’s website for the sign-up LINK. Students may sign-up for more than one session of basketball camp. Questions/concerns, please call or email Coach Singleton (Terrance.firstname.lastname@example.org) at 287-2626 or 547-8650.
Also, we are seeking donations or prizes for the students. (Examples: gift certificate, T-shirt, coupons, or candy). If any parent(s) or local businesses can contribute, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attention: Rising 9th Grade BTHS Students
Florida Prepaid College Savings Plans
The 2023 Prepaid Plan Open Enrollment period ends April 30th, and it is the only time this year when parents can lock in today’s prices to cover future tuition and fees.
- Their Prepaid Plans offer what families are seeking in today’s economy. They are inflation-proof. Risk-free. Flexible. Affordable. Made for YOU, and where you are today as a family.
- By saving early, with plans starting at just $45 a month, you can give your child a future full of opportunity.
- You can use the value of your Prepaid Plan in-state or out, at public, private, trade and technical schools nationwide. Your Prepaid Plan will even work great alongside scholarships, to give you the most flexibility.
- Learn more and view Prepaid Plan pricing for your child today.
PTSO Meeting Info:
- Next meeting: 5/22/2023 @ 10:00am @ SP in the MPR
Join your PTSO board as planning for the year continues! Please check in at the front desk and you will be directed to the meeting room. You will need to be a cleared SJCSD volunteer to be on campus.
The PTSO still has a couple of openings for next year's board positions! Please consider lending your talents and/or time to help the PTSO continue doing the amazing work we do! Please reach out with any questions you have!
PTSO VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Please consider making our Staff Appreciation Week Red Carpet Ready for May 1-5th! Let's show the staff how much we appreciate them. Every day we will have some special treats for the staff.
Please consider helping by signing up for something below. We need all items by Monday, May 1st in the am. Thank you!
Donation for Staff Appreciation Week
Want to join the PTSO in setting up and serving the staff luncheon?!
Rising 9th Grade Families
The PTSO would like to offer an opportunity to recognize your rising 9th grader!
The following yard sign is available for purchase from April 17 thru 5/5.
You may pick up your sign on MAY 17, 2023 from 5:00pm - 5:30pm in the front loop.
Congratulations to the rising 9th graders and the PTSO family wishes you all the best of luck in the future!
Thank you to all those that have volunteered in the Raider Store! It has been so much fun meeting more families at Swiss and seeing old friends!
The SPMS PTSO is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enhance the learning and work experience of the students and staff at SPMS.
Our membership includes teachers, administrators, parents and students.
What do we do?
- Neon Bash-Fall Dance for students
- Raider Store-Rewards for students who earn Raider Bucks for academic and behavioral performance
- Field studies sponsorships
- Character Counts! Rewards
- 8th grade Formal Dance and 8th Grade Awards Funding assistance
- Classroom grants-teacher members are eligible for up to $100 in a classroom grant to purchase items to enhance their classroom
- Staff luncheons and breakfast
- Teacher Appreciation
- Annual Donation to the school for technology and other needs
How do we pay for these initiatives?
- MEMBERSHIP-this is our biggest fundraiser. By simply joining PTSO, families help us reach our goals
- Spirit Wear-PTSO sells spirit wear each fall
- Fall/Spring Fundraisers-examples include Nothing Bundt Cakes and Poppin' Box
- Business Partners-our area business help SPMS through our Partners in Education program
- Corporate Donation Matches, Amazon Smile, Box Tops and private donations
How do you join?
- A family membership is $20 for the school year. The membership includes parents and any sibling at SPMS.
- Membership form can be found at https://switzerland-point-middle-school-ptso.square.site/
We have the best volunteers at Swiss. We are excited about a wonderful and busy year 2022-23 school year making a difference at Swiss.
If you are interested in finding out how you can help contact Dawn Evans at email@example.com
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT PTSO
Box Tops – Download the Box Tops app and scan your receipts for SMPS PTSO to get Box Top credits.
Keep an eye on the PTSO website, Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date on what is coming up throughout the year!
For up to date happenings LIKE us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/SwissPointPTSO/
SPMS PTSO is on INSTAGRAM! Follow us at https://www.instagram.com/spmsptso/
Check the PTSO website for all the latest news! http://www.swisspointptso.com/