And the superheroes that fight them!
- Floods are usually caused when heavy rainfalls occurs in a place that cannot hold all the excess water.
- The overflowing of water eventually grows and expands, leading to a flood.
- Other natural disasters however, also have a large impact on floods
- Powerful tsunamis and hurricanes usually have floods as a result.
Where/when has this disaster happened in Canada?
- In 1954, Southern ON, Hurricane Hazel struck, and the result was a massive flood that cost thousands of millions to repair!
- This disaster left 81 people dead, and 4000 people homeless.
What Canadian cities are specifically vulnerable to these disasters???
- Based on the historic trends that we have, Canadian cities that are in particular danger of floods include both Toronto, and Calgary.
- Experts state that urban floods are only going to get worse as more people are choosing to live in places that are easily flooded.
The power of floods
Evacuating from a flooded area.
Tons of water
The potential devastation floods bring.
Even more water!
Even the houses were almost covered!
The Heroes Against THEM
Predicting the disaster- The predictors
- These Heroes predict floods by studying and analyzing weather patterns.
- These patterns can be taken from satellite imagery and other weather instruments.
- The next step is to broadcast this prediction to the rest of the country!
- By accurately predicting which areas will be receiving the most danger, the people living there will know to evacuate. These guys save thousands of lives!
Reducing the impact- The reducers
- These heroes use special tools to predict sea level rises and areas that may be at the risk of a flood.
- Using this info, they minimize the impact of floods by raising the elevation of houses being built in areas of high risk.
- By doing this they are successfully reducing the amount of casualties as the people living in these houses have much higher elevations!
Giving out the plan and preparing us- The communicator
- These heroes are constantly giving us updates on the current situation, telling us what the government plans to do next, and what our course of action should be
- They are always preparing us for what’s to come by informing us of it, and then giving us the governments plans.
- By giving us constant updates to the governments plan we always know what we should be doing. Thanks to this, there's less confusion, leading to less casualties caused by confusion!