PBS KIDS Playful Learning Apps
Virtual Learning Session by WXXI Education
Playful + Learning + Apps
- Play can help children grow in self-esteem
- Play can help children focus their attention.
- Play can help children work on persistence and problem solving.
- Play can help children develop their imagination
- Play can help children with basic math and literacy skills
-Taken from "Playful Learning" newsletter of Fred Rogers Center, written by Hedda Sharapan, Fred Rogers Productions
PBS KIDS Apps + Learning Goals
- Connected and aligned to PBS KIDS series (including learning goals)
- Guided PBS KIDS Learning Frameworks: Math, Science, Literacy, Arts
- There are A LOT of FREE apps, BUT not all PBS KIDS apps are free
- This session is focused on only FREE apps
- Promote: problem solving, play, exploring the outdoors, literacy, STEM/STEAM, adult-child interactions
Making the MOST of App-Play
- Play together
- Talk about what you’re playing
- Match game/app play with hands-on activities
- Read and listen to connected stories
- Look at images
- Reflect on what you are learning – drawing, talking, writing, painting…
- Watch connected videos/video clips
- Magic happens when you combine media + technology + ________________ (books, play materials, imagination, conversations, questions, grownups, other children...)
Example App: The Cat in the Hat Builds That!
- Focus: Building and extending STEM concepts, such as friction, strength, length, measurement, problem solving, building, making a hypothesis… (as well as persistence, working on a team, collaborative, working towards a goal, working independently, science/STEM vocabulary)
- Researched and evaluated through Ready To Learn work
- Preview clip
- Download app here
- Use on tablet size device, not on phone.
CITH Connected & Extension Activities
- The Cat in the Hat Building Bridges: Teacher Guide
- Includes: Full episode: Building Bridges
- Video Clips: How to Cross the Gap, Share the Load, Is It Long Enough?, Is It Strong Enough?
- Online Games: Slidea-ma-Zoo, Bridge-a-Rama
- Properties of Materials: Building Bridges
Extension Activities (related):
- Activity: Measuring This and That Activity (The Cat in the Hat)
- Video: Bridge Building Club
- Video: Murray Experiment: Build a Bridge (Sesame Street)
- Video: London’s Tower Bridge
- Video: Engineer a Bridge (Sesame Street)
- Video: Building Big Arch Bridge
- Activity: Bridge Builder (Dinosaur Train)
- Video + Activity: Civil Engineer & Bridge Challenge
Example App: Play & Learning Science
Focus: Introduces foundational science concepts and STEM practices through 5 distinct sets of activities: Water Games, Ramp and Roll, Shadow Play, Weather Control, and Gear Up.
Intentionally designed to serve as catalysts for real-world exploration by modeling real-world locations and experiences.
Provides parent tips/activity ideas and conversation starters
Download app here
PBS Play & Learn Science: Family & Community Learning
WXXI Education: Top Faves
Apps That Model Positive Uses of Tech/Media Learning for Grownups
Each of these apps provide playful learning opportunities for children, as well as suggested extension ideas for grownups.
Apps That Promote Outdoor Exploration
Apps That Promote Building, Inventing, & Engineering
Apps That Focus on Science & Math
Downloadable/Printable Resources to Share with Families
Zero to Three resources:
- Choosing Media Content for Young Children
- Young Children & Screens: Putting Parents in the Driver's Seat
- Screen-Use Tips for Parents of Children Under Three
- Screen Sense: All the Need-to-Know Research on Screens for Children Under Three
- Screen Sense: What the Research Says About the Impact of Media on Children Aged 0-3 Years Old
- Screen Sense Guide