GO LOCO WITH EDMODO!
TAKE YOUR CLASSROOM TO THE CLOUD!
Are you ready to go paperless? Do you want to develop an online community for your classroom?
Edmodo is a social learning network that is safe for students and FREE for teachers! With a “Facebook-like” look, it’s sure to grab your students’ attention and get them excited about learning. This session will explain what Edmodo is, how you and your students create accounts, and give real-life examples of Edmodo in action. We’ll show you how to assign and grade work in Edmodo and give advice on best practices, as well as share permission forms and roll-out materials. Whether you teach K through 12, this is a resource you will definitely want in your technology toolkit!
EDMODO AT A GLANCE
Edmodo at a glance
LET'S GO BACKSTAGE FIRST...
Create a Teacher Account
- Go to www.roundrockisd.edmodo.com and click on "I'm a Teacher."
- Fill in the required information and click on "Sign up."
- You will be asked for a school code -- please email email@example.com for that information.
- You will receive a series of emails from Edmodo with tips for getting started.
Create a Group
- When you create a group, a code is generated. Your students will have to enter your group code in order to join your group.
- DO NOT post these publicly! Anyone who has this code can join your group - ANYONE. Only share these codes with your STUDENTS!
- Don't forget to LOCK THE CODES when all of your students have joined.
- Set up notifications so you are alerted when people join your group and post comments. BE IN CHARGE!
Invite your Students
- Your students will also go to www.roundrockisd.edmodo.com to sign up, but they will click on "I'm a Student."
- They must enter the code that was generated when you created the group.
- The first activity we suggest that students complete is to create an avatar for their profile - NEVER let students use their actual picture OR their last name! Avatar websites Manga.com, Clay Yourself, and Voki are great to use.
Post an Assignment
- Click on the Assignment tab and enter the requested assignment information (title, description, due date...).
- You can also add attachments (links and files) to supplement your assignment.
- When your assignment is complete, you must "send" it to the group.
- Students will get a post in their Edmodo account that they have a new assignment.
- They will complete the task you have assigned and "Turn in" their work when they are finished.
Grade an Assignment
- When a student turns in an assignment, you will receive an alert in your notifications panel.
- You can review the student's assignment, make a comment and send it back to them, or give them a grade.
Create and Grade Quizzes
- Edmodo also allows you to create quizzes and grade them directly in Edmodo.
- You can add multiple choice, true/false, short answer or fill-in-the-blank questions. You can also set a dute date and time limit for the quiz.
- Students receive an alert when there's a new quiz just like they get with an assignment.
- When they submit the quiz, you can elect to have them see their grade immediately and they can even go back and review the questions they missed.
- You can access all grades to assignments and quizzes in your gradebook.
NOW TO CENTER STAGE...
Edmodo: The Essential Education Network