Week of January 17, 2016
January 10, 2016
The two snow days, my doctor appointment, PD on science standards and a leadership meeting left me with only one half day at Morrish last week. My short-term goals for the week included:
- Visit at least 3 classrooms daily
- Read aloud to students in 2 classrooms this week
I visited two classrooms and fell short of meeting the other goals. I will strive to reach them this week and to continue with the 30 Day Challenge, pictured above.
I attended a full day overview of the newly adopted science standards. The shifts in teaching practices to implement these standards are exciting and will take time. Some big ideas from the PD included:
- Let students find answers to their questions
- Wonder aloud with students
- Students must investigate, discover, give one another feedback, & revise their thinking
- Our evaluation tool, Danielson, aligns nicely with the practices expected in the new standards, especially to be considered highly effective
We will spend time learning more about the standards and how to best implement in our building and during district PD time. In the meantime, please PRINT AND REVIEW THIS DOCUMENT.
DIBELS testing continues this week. Winter data meetings will take place January 27th and 28th. The data meeting schedule is HERE. Please complete STAR and DRA2 testing by January 26th. We should be ready to start new MTSS groups the first week of February. Please let me know what questions you have. Please be sure to remind students of zero voice level in the halls.
An orientation meeting with HS students will take place on 3:00 on the 19th. Sharon, Deb Culver and I will meet with the HS students for about 25 minutes in Martie's room. We will then invite them to meet the teachers of the students they will mentor. Please expect a visit right after school from the HS student(s) mentoring your nominated student(s). Our start date is Feb. 2.
Please park in the lot next to the playground. It really helps with traffic during dismissal if all staff are parked there.
The week ahead...
Tuesday, January 19
- Morrish MTSS/SI Meeting 7:45-8:30 in Amy P.'s room CLICK HERE for the agenda
- K-2 Odyssey of the Mind in the gym (3:45-5:00)
- Hungry Howie's Night - Get dinner here & Morrish PTO earns a portion of each sale
Wednesday, January 20
- Staff Meeting 7:45 in the Art Room CLICK HERE for the agenda
Thursday, January 21
- Odyssey of the Mind (7 students) in Sarah's room (3:45-5:00)
Friday, January 22
- Bright Smiles visits. They will set up in the hallway area between the library and Sheila's classroom.
- February: Global School Play Day! Sign your class up HERE!
Please take a few minutes to read the intriguing article below on giving students MORE recess time.
Have a great week!
Swartz Creek Community Schools
MISSION: Swartz Creek Community Schools inspires our learners to embrace challenges, set goals, grow their talents, and realize their dreams for success in a global society.
VISION: Swartz Creek Community Schools provides a world class education through innovative experiences while developing the unique talents of our learners.BELIEF STATEMENTS:
- We believe in a culture of learning.
- We believe that student learning should be the primary goal for all decisions made affecting the school district.
- We believe the climate and culture of the school is engaging, nurturing, challenging, and inspires students to express their personal ideas.
- We believe curriculum is integrated, differentiated, meaningful, and pertinent to life.
- We believe in culturally relevant education that provides the knowledge and skills to meet the global challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.
- We believe in continuous improvement informed by critical evaluation and reflection.
- We believe expanding technologies enrich how teachers teach and students learn.
- We believe in building relationships and sharing resources with our community, parents, and staff members.