Добро пожаловать в Россию
By: Alexandria Gemeinhardt (Welcome to Russia)
Welcome to Mother Russia!
Russian is an Eastern Slavonic language closely related to Ukraine and Belarusian with about 277 million speakers mainly in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Belarus. It is also spoken in Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Finland, Mongolia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Israel, Afghanistan, the USA, Canada and a number of countries.
The earliest known writing in Russia dates from the 10th century and was found at Novgorod. The main languages written on them in an early version of the Cyrillic alphabet were Old Russian and Old Church Slavonic. There are also some texts in Finnish, Latin and Greek.
Russian started appearing in writing regularly during the reign of Peter the Great (a.k.a. Peter I) (1672-1725) who introduced a revised alphabet and encouraged authors to use a literary style closer to their spoken language. The dialect of Moscow was used as the basis for written Russian
The prime minister is appointed by the president of the Russian Federation and confirmed by the State Duma. He or she succeeds to the presidency if the current president dies, is incapacitated or resigns. The current prime minister is Dmitry Medvedev.
The government issues its acts in the way of decisions and orders . These must not contradict the constitution, constitutional laws, federal laws, and Presidential decrees, and are signed by the Prime Minister.
The government is the subject of the 6th chapter of the Constitution of the Russian Federation. According to the constitution, the government of the Russian Federation must:
- draft and submit the federal budget to the State Duma; ensure the implementation of the budget and report on its implementation to the State Duma;
- ensure the implementation of a uniform financial, credit and monetary policy in the Russian Federation ;
- ensure the implementation of a uniform state policy in the areas of culture, science, education, health protection, social security and ecology;
- manage federal property;
- adopt measures to ensure the country's defence, state security, and the implementation of the foreign policy of the Russian Federation;
- implement measures to ensure the rule of law, human rights and freedoms, the protection of property and public order, and crime control;
- exercise any other powers vested in it by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal laws and presidential decrees.