Characteristics and Implications for Practice
How is Practice Impacted?
- Advisory Programs - allow student to build positive relationships with adults
- Provide chances for self-assessment
- Provide role playing, drama, and readings that permit the young adolescents to see that their problems are not unique.
- Writing personal responses to connect what they are studying to real life
- Providing an environment with a balance of structure and flexibility
Surprising or Interesting Information
- Conflicts between and allegiances to family AND peer groups
- Swings in between feelings of superiority and inferiority
- They feel their problems are unique.
- Lack of empathy
Our Own Practices
- Providing chances for success without fear of failure
- Exploratory time and variety
- Act as positive role models
How Do Our Practices Align?
We don't have enough advisory/exploratory time within the day
However, we do have opportunities after school. We need to offer more variety.
Our counselors, resource officer, and school nurse provide many services that address student needs in this area.