8th Grade ELA News
January 1st, 2016
Our Learning Targets
Our goals this week are:
- Understand the concept of theme and how it is used in short passages, photographs, and song lyrics.
- Provide textual evidence to support the theme in House of Scorpion.
- Create an Instagram account for a character in House of Scorpion.
- Create a theme triangle for House of Scorpion.
- Provide textual evidence to support claims.
- Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.
8th Grade ELA Overview
During each unit, students will explore the elements of effective writing, read and analyze fiction and nonfiction, and develop reading strategies. Students will examine literature from the perspective of a writer and use their study of literature to improve their own writing. Students will improve their vocabulary through a variety of activities. Utilizing mentor sentences, students will analyze grammatical structures in writing. Students will maintain a portfolio to demonstrate their growth in language arts. Reading, writing, language, viewing, speaking and listening skills will be developed through a variety of individual and group assignments.