3rd Grade Gazette
Dear Third Grade Families,
April will go by fairly quickly as we have Easter Break taking place from the 14th-22nd. Please continue to check Gradelink often to assure that your student has stayed on top of their assignments.
3rd grade will be leading the Stations of the Cross on April 7th. All parents are welcomed and encouraged to join us at 11:30 am in the parish. Students are very excited to lead their the Stations for first time ever as a Holy Trinity student.
Our annual Jog-A-Thon will take place on Friday April 29th. Please make sure to get the food forms filled out and returned to the office ASAP. Parents are welcome to come on campus for the run which will begin at 10:00am.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Students are grouped in spelling groups according to their level.
- If they do not pass that word list in a week, they will have to keep studying their words until they pass with an 85% or higher.
- Please help your student practice their words each night. Students have many options to practice their words.
- If you student comes home without their word list, please send me a message on Remind and I can send you a pdf of their words for that week.
- Stations of the Cross led by 3rd grade: Thursday, April 7 at 11:30am
- All School Mass: Friday, April 8 at 9:00am
- HT Campus Clean-Up Day: Saturday, April 9 10am-12pm
- Stations of the Cross led by 8th grade: Wednesday, April 13 at 11:15am
- Easter Break: April 14th-22nd
- STAR Testing begins: Monday, April 25
- All Jog-a-thon Money due: Thursday, April 28
- 3rd Trimester Progress Reports Distributed: Thursday, April 28
- All School Mass led by 5th grade: Friday, April 29 at 9:00am
- Annual Jog-A-Thon: Friday, April 29
- First Eucharist Mass with the parish: Saturday, April 30 at 10:00am
- The class code is 2r6483 and their username is the first and last name
- Every Wednesday, students will now have school assignments assigned in their "backpack" on the digital learning platform Freckle.
- Students should spend at least 25 minutes working on the platform.
- I have noticed that many students have been rushing through the assignments which ultimately results in poor scores and less learning takeaway.
- Please encourage your student to take their time when working on Freckle.
Uniform Infractions/Policies (NEW UPDATES)
- Students should be wearing a grey or green PE shirt on Monday and Wednesdays. These are the t-shirt uniform tops and do not have a collar.
- All boys need a black or brown belt while wearing their uniform on regular and Mass days.
- Students may only wear 1 necklace and 1 bracelet. Only religious jewelry is permitted.
- Students may wear only tennis shoes for a free dress or spirit day.
- Students wearing free dress still should adhere to the handbook for appropriateness. No leggings, mini-skirts, or crop tops should be worn at school.
- Thursdays are Hawk Pride days, which means that students may wear any Holy Trinity shirt with their regular uniform bottom. Old Jog-A-Thon shirts are perfect. No PE shorts that day.
- All students must have their shirts tucked in at all times throughout the day.
Please note that frequent uniform infractions will affect the overall student behavior grade. Additionally, students who do not get their uniform fraction signed and returned will be benched at recess that day. Students who do not show up in proper mass uniform on a Mass day will also be benched for recess on that day. Thank you for your understanding.
Field Trip Inquiry Update
Another reason I decided to switch the dates around, was that the the interactive classes at the Birch Aquarium are now being offered. I have heard amazing things about these sessions and think it will be a fun learning experience for the kids. This option will increase the price of the field trip by $5 so $15 total. All parents that would like to come along as a chaperone are welcomed. There are only 4 free chaperone tickets as per the aquarium policy. I decided that I will purchase the other additional adult tickets for parents who would like to come, and the cost of those tickets will be split evenly among all the parent chaperones.
We are all looking forward to a fun filled day. I appreciate your flexibility and excitement.
Even if you have expressed your interest already in attending the field trip, please fill out this survey so that I have a firm count on who is able and planning to attend. The reservations have been booked from 9:45-10:45 am on May 3rd.
WHAT WE ARE LEARNING
In religion, we will be starting Unit 4, which is focused around the essential question "Why and how do we celebrate the Church year?"
The chapter breakdowns are:
- Chapter 21: How do we celebrate Jesus Christ?
- Chapter 22: Why does Jesus come to save us?
- Chapter 23: How did the Son of God enter human history?
- Chapter 24: How are we called to repentance today?
- Chapter 24: Why did Jesus die on the cross and rise again?
In reading, we will be navigating through both fiction and non-fiction texts of different genres, focusing on different comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, and writing skills in each unit.
- Genres: Fairytale, Realistic Fiction, Informational/Expository
- Comprehension Skills: Visualizing, Character, Setting, Plot, Point of View, Ask & Answer Questions, Main Idea & Key Details, Summarizing, Text Structure: Cause & Effect,
- Vocabulary Skills: Prefixes, Suffixes, Root Words, Context Clues, Compound Words, Homophones
In writing, we will focus on informational writing and working on responding to text using text evidence.
In math, we are on Module 6:
- Module 6: Fractions as Numbers on a Number Line
In social studies, we will cover units primarily on California (CA) Change and Government:
- CA Heroes
- CA Symbols
- Local Government
In science, we will be focusing on plant life cycles & heredity
MISSING HOMEWORK/PROGRESS REPORT GRADES
- It is critical that students stay on top of missing work when they are absent.
- Many students have been forgetting to write their name/date/class # on their papers. Please help/encourage to add those things on their paper right away so that they can get credit for their work.
- As stated at Back-to-School night, all parents in 3rd grade and up, have full viewing access on Gradelink. Please check it regularly, as well as your child's backpack/folders to assure that any of their work assignments get completed and turned in in a timely manner.
- This year, I am really trying to teach students responsibilIty. It should be their job to make sure their homework is completed and in their folder each night, so that it is ready to be turned in the next morning.
Please see Gradelink for any missing work that your student has. It may also be easier to follow this link to print the copies at home to be completed at home.
- Any students, who are the oldest sibling in the school, will get the yellow Parent Envelopes passed out in our class. Please remember to sign and return them by the next school day.
- Please make sure your students come with a snack and re-useable water bottle everyday.
- Please label your child's re-usable water bottle.
The students have loved all of the new books and pencil sharpener, and supplies, that have been purchased. Please feel free to share with anyone wanting to donate!