1/10/2014 Negotiation Update
The District presented their contract proposal. Major components include:
District employees entering the teacher bargaining unit would have their seniority date back-dated to their original hire date. (Article V, p. 6)
-EM-O has no interest.
· Performance increment advancement would require completion of at least 120 days of teaching service (student contact days). Days devoted to parent-teacher conferences, teacher’s workshops and other staff development opportunities, and days on which a teacher is absent from school WOULD NOT COUNT toward the 120 days. (Article VI, p. 9)
-EM-O’s counter proposal is to include conferences, workshops and staff development days as part of the 120 days.
· District gave notification that paying Teachers as Substitutes will ONLY apply to teachers who are already assigned a classroom section. (Article VII, p. 11)
-EM-O maintains that “teacher” is defined in the contract and in statute. We take issue with the district’s interpretation and will file a grievance if implemented.
· District will match any amount for Deferred Compensation between the minimum and maximum match, but the 457 option would be eliminated for matching. (Article VII, pp. 14-15)
-EM-O proposes grandfathering in those who are already enrolled in 457s and offering more vendor options for those contributing to 403(b).
· Employees would be allowed to waive health coverage in the District’s plan. (Article VIII, p. 16)
-EM-O has a concern about how waiving coverage would impact our rates.
· Group Benefits/Insurance language would freeze the amount of the District contribution for insurance. (Article VIII, pp. 16-20)
-EM-O wants language included whereby increases are shared by District and teachers.
· The workweek for full-time ECFE teachers will be changed from 1200 minutes to 1380 minutes of student contact time per week. (Article XIV, p. 46)
-EM-O agreed to this, as a compromise to the District proposal of 1500 minutes.
· Striking the present PLC MOU from the contract. (p. K)
-EM-O is not interested in removing this from the contract but instead add clarifying language to include Data Teams, Collaborative Teams, etc.
· Schedule A: Salary proposal—
o 2013-2014: $900 stipend for all active employees and no advancement on salary schedule for either steps or lanes.
o 2014-2015: 1% increase on the salary schedule, with advancement on salary schedule for steps and lanes.
-EM-O rejects this salary proposal. We have heard loud and clear from you that you do not want and will not accept a stipend in lieu of an increase. Performance increments and lanes have been earned and should be honored. The District stated that one of the most compelling reasons for offering just a stipend the first year is the concern about having to open other employee group contracts that contain a “Me too” clause as follows from the Custodial contract:
“Subd. 3 Wage Re-Opener.
a. During the term of this agreement, if any other union or non-union employee or group of employees negotiate agreements, or determine terms and conditions of employment that include step increases, cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs), and/or any other form of compensation increases other than one-time stipends, to be paid during the term of this 2012-2014 agreement, the District and the Union agree to re-open negotiations relating to Article VIII of the agreement as it relates to wages and compensation.”
Please read two meeting notices below!