How a Bill becomes a Law
By: Savanna Sprinkle
1. Someone has an idea.
2. The Bill is introduced in Congress.
- All tax bills start in the House of Reps. because they are closer to the people.
3. The Bill is given a title and number.
4. The Bill is sent to the standing committee.
- they pass the bill.
- they mark the bill with changes and suggest it be passed.
- they replace the bill with a new bill.
- they ignore the bill and let it die.
- they kill the bill with majority vote.
5. Congressional members where the bill is introduced debate.
- Senate may attach riders.
- Rules Committee determines the terms for debate.
6. Voting in Congress
- House Senate must pass the same bill.
7. Sent to President
- You can Veto, or do nothing for 10 days.
- Then the bill becomes a law.