June 17, 2022
We did it!
Dear LISD Families,
It has been a busy couple of weeks that included awards assemblies, a talent show, projects, presentations, graduation ceremonies, drama performances, registration, parties, potlucks, yearbooks, and a whole lot of music! We appreciate everyone who helped out with anything on that list. We couldn't pull it all off without the support of our families. Our hearts are full!
Thank you for a truly wonderful and memorable school year filled with twists and turns, ups and downs, and an overall abundance of joy.
This will be the last newsletter of the school year. We remain committed to the practice of keeping you informed each week with news, announcements, and photos. We'll send out our next newsletter right before the start of the 22-23 school year. In the meantime, you can check the LISD website for updates.
We hope you have a wonderful summer!
All our best to you and your family,
Mary and Martha
Sending our students off for the summer break...LOBO STYLE!
Congratulations to the Class of 2022! They dd it!
MPPACT entertained Lopez last weekend!
Congratulations to the Class of 2026 on their 8th grade graduation!
Performing Arts Night
5th Grade Graduation
Future Civil Engineers!
3rd grade students studied the 3 types of bridges, shapes within bridges, and bridge construction. Then they put their engineering skills to work by brainstorming, designing, and building a bridge with toothpicks and popsicle sticks. The results were fantastic!
4th/5th Grade Hike to the Top of Lopez Hill
Summer Reading Challenge Time at the Lopez Island Library!
That’s right, it’s that time of year to kick back, enjoy the long summer days, and READ! You can win prizes by reading daily, and by attending Library programs this summer.
Stop by the circulation desk to sign up for Summer Reading, or you can join online using our new reading tracking app called Beanstack! Go to lopezlibrary.beanstack.org to sign up online.
All ages are welcome to join the challenge, which runs from June 21st – August 20th.
Happy Summer Reading!
Indigo Fieldtrip with Ali
School Library News
The school library’s book drop box will be outside the entrance to the elementary school. If your student has books to return, you are encouraged to drop them off over the summer. The secondary students have books that need returning. Thank you!
Woodshop Class Final Projects
School Library News
Summer Sports Camps
Summer LOBO Sports Camps
The Pack is sponsoring Lopez Sports Camps for grades K-12 this summer! Here are the camps that are available:
Little Lobo Basketball Camp (Grades K-5), June 20-23, 9:00am-11:00am
Lobo Basketball Camp (Grades 6-12), June 20-23, 12:00pm-2:00pm
Little Lobo Volleyball Camp (Grades K-5), July 5-8, 9:00am-11:00am
Lobo Volleyball Camp (Grades 6-12), July 5-8, 12:00pm-2:00pm
Lobo Cheer Camp, (K-5) August 22-26, 10:00am-12:00pm
Basketball and Volleyball camps will be Co-Ed and cost $75/session (ball included!) and will be hosted at the Lopez School Gym. There will be incentives for high schoolers and parent helpers, so if you are a previous (or current) player, or if you have any questions, please contact Emily Berg at email@example.com. Cheer camp will be outdoors (location TBA) and $55. For any questions about Cheer Camp or if you'd like to help, please contact Erin Saunders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration will open next week! Go Lobos!
Fall Sports Physical
Attention Student Athletes: Please don't wait to schedule your sports physicals at the UW Lopez Clinic, they are already booked out into July! If you wait until right before practice starts, they will very likely be unable to schedule you in time. Call 360-468-2245 today to make your appointment (push 2 to reach the clinic reception)!
Kindergarten/5th Grade Reading Buddy Carnival
District Office Summer Hours
Think you may need something over the summer? Don't worry! You can email any of us whenever, and...
The District Office will be open this summer from 9am-2pm; each Tuesday (between June 28 - August 23rd) EXCEPT JULY 5th.
Thinking about next school year already? Probably not... but still...
We have some open positions to start Fall 2022!!
- Certificated Teacher Substitutes - Did you know that Washington offers an emergency substitute certificate, which does not require a teacher training program? Work days you are available and don't worry about having to take time off for days you aren't!
- Various Certificated Teachers - Come get your island teach ON with US!!!! There are numerous certificated teaching positions open for the 2022-2023 school year at Lopez Island and even one at Decatur School. There are various schedules, hours and positions available in Elementary, Secondary, and Music. Now is your chance to help inspire, educate, enlighten and refine the future islander generation!! Most positions qualify for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits! Check our website for specifics*!
- Cook/ Dishwasher- Help make and share all the FRESH, HEALTHY, and DELICIOUS local foods with the children and staff of Lopez Island School! We are looking for some help in the fast-paced, fun and friendly kitchen at Lopez Island School from 8am - 2pm daily (with a 30 min break). The position qualifies for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- Van Driver - Want to get out and see the island? This transportation position drives a wheelchair van (or another vehicle) to transport student(s) with special needs to and from school. This 3.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday. This position qualifies for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- ParaEducators and ParaEducator Substitutes - Interested in working with students individually, in small groups, and/or in general classrooms and helping assist teachers in modifying student behavior? You can apply to become a ParaEducator with a regular schedule or else a ParaEducator sub for flexibility!
Keep your eyes peeled and directed to our website for postings (for summer positions and more for next school year)!
*On our website: go to District Info and then to HR and Employment for postings.*
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – email@example.com; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Summer Hagge – firstname.lastname@example.org; Section 504, Mary Fordham – email@example.com; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.