We Are Together Tamanend!
September 6, 2019
Reel in Some Good New Books!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Deadline to Order Tamanend Pink Out Shirt for American Cancer Society Denim Day--Wednesday, September 11
Deadline to Update Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal--Saturday, September 14
Picture Day--Tuesday, September 17
Parent Council--Wednesday, September 18 at 9:00 AM
7th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 19 at 7:00 PM
Magazine Drive Assembly--Friday, September 20 (during school day)
8th & 9th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 26 at 7:00 PM
7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Fair--Thursday, October 3
Tamanend Pink Out--Friday, October 4
Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
Ready for Learning and Growing!
Welcoming our New 7th Graders with a Kona Ice Truck
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--Deadline to Order Tamanend Pink Out Shirts for American Cancer Society Denim Day is Wednesday, September 11
Picture Day--Tuesday, September 17
7th Grade Parents--Please Mark the Date
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Please Update Your Student Emergency & Information Form on Parent Portal by September 14
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences
If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one. If you need help with your Parent Portal account, please contact your child’s school for assistance. Beginning August 5th, you may click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Student Emergency & Information Form.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this important information!
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Reminder--Middle School Physical Education Attire
Starting in the upcoming 2019-2020 school year, students will not be required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus. (Please note: Lenape Middle School students will not need to purchase locks as there are permanent locks installed on the lockers).
Reminder--Renovations and Improvements to Tamanend
The 2019-2020 school year will bring many positive and exciting changes to our building. On June 17, 2019 we began a renovation project that will provide air conditioning, upgraded lighting, and cosmetic improvements throughout the entire building. The project is scheduled to conclude in August, 2020. During this renovation project, banks of approximately six classrooms will be vacated for periods of approximately six weeks. As a result, many teachers will be moving classrooms at some point during the school year. To accommodate these moves, we set up three temporary classrooms in the Library and two temporary classrooms in the LGI areas of the Auditorium. Although we will face minor inconveniences during this renovation project, the upgrades will make our building more comfortable, more efficient, and more visually appealing.
Thank You for Your Flexibility and Patience During Renovations
Thank you for your flexibility and patience during our renovation project. In the end, the minor inconveniences we will face this year will be worth it as our district works to improve lighting and fully air condition our building.
Many students experienced issues with locker assignments and combinations. We appreciate everyone's patience as we worked through these issues.
We have adjusted release times for certain classes at the end of certain class periods during this current phase (August 26--September 27) of our renovation project. This will improve student traffic flow between classes. We do not anticipate any traffic flow issues in the next phase of the project.
Reminder--1 to 1 Technology Initiative
Central Bucks is in the second year of implementation of the 1:1 technology initiative. The purpose of the initiative is to allow for creation, mobility, and innovation at home and school. Every Tamanend 7th, 8th, and 9th Grader will have a laptop this year.
Families will be asked to pay a $50 usage fee for the device per student per year. This fee will cover breaks, repairs and other services. MyPaymentsPlus opens for payment Monday, August 5th. Please note:
- Families who qualify for the Free/Reduced Lunch Program will automatically receive a $0 fee in MyPayments Plus. Even though the fee is waived, families must still "checkout" to complete this step and be marked as paid on our technology report.
If you are a family dealing with financial hardships, please contact your building principal to discuss payment options.
Please contact your child's Guidance counselor if you do not have Internet access at home so that we may assist you in obtaining this service.
You may also click HERE to learn more about this initiative.
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
FROM THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Select Chorus Auditions
Auditions for Tamanend’s large select choral group, Chieftain Chorus, will be held after school next week, from September 9th to 12th. The audition song is America the Beautiful. Interested students need to sign up for a 5-minute time slot in room 201. More information can be found HERE.
- Volleyball begins
- Concussion Seminar: 2:45-3:30; Auditorium
- ImPact Testing; 3:30-4:30; Auditorium
- Boys Soccer Meeting; 2:45-3:15; Room 236; 7th and 8th Grade
- Field Hockey tryouts begin
- Tennis practice begins
- Boys Soccer tryouts begin
- Practices/Tryouts continue
Athletics Office Notes
- If your child is interested in participating in a Tamanend Fall sport, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Fall sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- IMPORTANT: Please note that all 7th and 8th Grade Fall athletes must attend an after-school concussion seminar on Tuesday, September 10th in our auditorium from 2:45-3:30. All 7th and 8th grade Fall athletes who have not yet taken the ImPact concussion test during their time at Tamanend, must remain after the seminar to complete the ImPact test. Student-athletes will use their district-issued laptops and be finished by 4:30.
- Central Bucks is excited to partner with ATI Physical Therapy to provide Athletic Training Services to our student-athletes. Please see the letter below from our certified athletic trainer, Jimmy Fynes. In addition to the email in the letter below, he can also be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A meeting will be held for all 7th and 8th Grade boys interested in playing soccer at Tamanend on Wednesday, September 11 at 2:45 in Room 236. Tryouts will be held on September 12 and 13.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- A meeting will be held for all 9th through 12th graders interested in CB South Wrestling on 9/26/19 at 7 PM in the CB South Forum
- Good luck to all Fall teams!
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
As a reminder, the current immunization requirements for the 2019-2020 school year continue to be as follows:
Children in kindergarten through 12th grade are required to have the following vaccines:
- 4 doses DtaP – diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
- 4 doses Polio
- 2 doses MMR – measles, mumps, rubella
- 3 doses Hepatitis B
- 2 doses Varicella (chicken pox)
Children entering 7th grade are also required to have:
- 1 dose Meningococcal Conjugate (meningitis)
- 1 dose DtaP – diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
To check the immunization status of your student, go to the Portal and click on the Health tab.
Please note, the Departments of Health and Education have not made any changes to the religious, philosophical, or medical exemptions currently provided in the regulations.
If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Corinne Sikora at email@example.com .
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Bucks County Book Fest
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend? Look for our Volunteer Survey in September.
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
TMS Parent Council
Wednesday, Sep. 18th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on a Wednesday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900