Be Protected While You're Connected
Protect Your Information
- Use privacy settings to select who can see what you post. Many websites have privacy settings. Use these settings for your own safety.
- Keep location-based services off. Do people really need to know where you are?
- Don't share your passwords. Make your password personal to you. Consider making it longer so it is not as easy to crack.
Be Smart About What You Post
- Think twice before you post something. Once something is shared with others, it's there forever. Even if you think you deleted it, people can still go back and find it.
- Be nice. Everyone has feelings, so comment polite things. What you say about others can reflect badly on you. If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it online.
- Don't be online friends with someone you don't know. Only let people you are friends with follow you.
- Never meet with someone you first met on the internet. Some people aren't who they say they are. If someone asks to meet with you or makes you feel uncomfortable, tell a parent.