Shawn Peter Raul Mendes was born August 8, 1998 and is a Canadian singer and songwriter. He started getting popular in 2013 by posting video covers on an app called vine. All I can say is it was all uphill from there!
Shawn was nominated for
- MTV European Music awards, "Best New" and "Best Song" and "Best Push" - Won
- Teen Choice Awards, "Choice Web Star: Music" - Won
- Much Music Awards, "Fan Fave Video" - Won
- Shorty Awards, "Vine Musician" - Won
- Is right now nominated for a "People's Choice Award" - Favourite Breakthroughout Artist
When asked in an interview Shawn "My parents listened to a lot of reggae, Led Zeppelin was always playing in the house, a lot of Garth Brooks and country music. Right now my influences are mainly John Mayer and Ed Sheeran. I definitely look up to those two guys a lot."
Shawn Mendes performing Stitches at the Z100 Jingle Ball 2015
- Ep by shawn Mendes, released on July 28 2014
- Handwritten April 2015
- The album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 106,000 copies in its first week
- He became the youngest artist since Justin Bieber to have a No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 album chart in nearly five years
"I love writing Music... I get to write stories and sing them."
"True friends are never forgotten,they live in our hearts and souls... forever, and always dancing on our stage of memories."
"We don't have the time to be sorry."
10 Interesting facts
- He is 6’1″ tall.
- Shawn got verified on Twitter the same day he got signed to Island Records.
- Before his signing to Island Records, Shawn was a member of the MagCon Tour along with other young musicians and social media stars including Nash Grier, Cameron Dallas and Jack & Jack.
- The Shawn Mendes EP reached Number 1 on iTunes in 37 minutes.
- Shawn released his debut single “The Life of the Party” in June 2014, which went on to become a massive hit.
- This record earned him the title of the youngest person to debut in the top 25 on the Billboard Hot 100, at just 15 years, 11 months and 4 days of age.
- Before becoming a singer, Shawn said he wanted to become an actor.
- He can play both the piano and the guitar.
- Shawn Mendes gained his popularity through video-sharing app Vine, where he would release six-second snippets of him singing renditions of popular songs.
- Within months of Vineing, Shawn had a following of millions of subscribers, as well as millions of views on each of his videos.