NES Notes Home
We are Kind, We are Learners, We are Leaders
November 28, 2022
Note from the Principal
Hello NES Families,
We hope everyone enjoyed the Thanksgiving weekend. As we head into December, I wanted to highlight a few opportunities to get involved here at school. Our children do better when school and home are connected. We hope you see yourself in some of these events:
1) Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) Pizza Party event!
- Thursday, 12/1 at 6:00pm in our gym.
- For any male role model in our student's lives...dads, uncles, cousins, grandfathers, guardians, mentors, etc.
- Bring your student, come eat some pizza, and learn about how you can help at school.
- Some Watch DOGS volunteer for just an hour, and some stay all day. Some help out in classrooms, other stay outside at recess. We can make a schedule that works for you!
2) "Families for Nooksack Elementary" PTO meeting - join us!
- Tuesday, December 6th from 6:30-7:30pm in the library
- If you'd like to help with an event coming up, or just listen to the great things our PTO has planned, join us. All are welcome!
3) Family Holiday Craft Night is Thursday, 12/8 anytime between 5:30-7:30pm.
- More details to come, but mark your calendars now for a fun night as a family!
- Hint: There will be a cupcake walk too... a student favorite.
Here's to a joyous December ahead. Happy Holidays!
Attendance: Working Together for Student Success
We know there have been so many cold bugs and everyone is doing their best to stay healthy. Thank you for keeping kids home when they are really sick. It's also the job of the school to monitor attendance and notify parents of concerns. Please reach out to Mrs. Rediger in the office if your child will be absent from school, and we will reach out to you as well. Thank you for the communication!
The NVHS ASB Leadership Team and Nooksack Valley Family Services are sponsoring a Giving Tree at the high school. We have a number of families from the Nooksack Valley School District who are in need of holiday assistance during this time of year.
We have chosen to collect “new” blankets and socks (any size for babies/toddlers/teenagers and adults for all genders) for families this year as gifts and our goal is 250 items! All items will find a home with Nooksack Valley families.
Questions? Contact Tyler Perry, NV High School ASB Advisor, at 360-988-2641, Ext. 3305, or Alice Linterman, NV High School Registrar, at 360-988-2641, Ext. 3102.
Please return unwrapped gifts to Alice Linterman in Room 102 at NVHS no later than Friday, December 16! Thank you!
Highly Capable Nominations
The State of Washington defines highly capable as "students who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experience, or environments," as demonstrated by one or more of the multiple learning characteristics.
Please connect with your child's teacher to have a conversation about nomination qualifications.
Family Involvement at NES: Join Us!
Watch D.O.G.S Kick-Off Event: Dec. 1st at 6:00pm
- When: Thursday, December 1st at 6:00pm
- What: Pizza party kick-off event to share more about the program and volunteering as a Watch D.O.G.
- Where: NES Gym
- Who: Dads, uncles, fathers, male guardians and their student
December 6th "Families for Nooksack " PTO Meeting: All families welcome!!
We will share lots of fun events and plans for the rest of the year. Then we will gather feedback and families can sign up to help with an event that sounds fun to you. More hands make light work. We hope to see you there!
Dec. 8th: Holiday Craft Night!
Early Entry Kindergarten (EEK)
Will your child be entering kindergarten in the fall of 2023 and is not currently in a preschool program?
The Nooksack Valley School District is planning to return to our Early Entry Kindergarten this year that will provide a free, full-day early entrance kindergarten opportunity for children who are scheduled to enter a kindergarten class in the fall of 2023.
What: A free full-day kindergarten
When: Students will be screened in early January and may qualify based on need. After the screening has taken place, you will receive a letter in the mail if your child has qualified or not. The estimated start date for the program is January 27, 2023. Early Entry Kindergarten program will follow the regular district calendar and will end on the last day of school, which is currently June 16, 2023.
Where: Located at our elementary schools
Why: This program will focus on social and basic academic skills to help qualifying students get a jumpstart toward success in school.
The Nooksack Valley School District is doing all we can in supporting all students at every level of education. One of our key strategies is to enhance and invest in early childhood learning opportunities. We believe offering Early Entry Kindergarten is a positive and critical step in helping your child transition into our schools and continue their journey as a lifelong learner.
If you believe your child may qualify and you are interested in enrolling them, please fill out the application and drop it off at any elementary school location no later than November 25, 2022. Please call one of our elementary schools if you have any questions.
Elementary Music Performances for the 2022-2023 School Year
We are excited and grateful to be able to offer music performances again at our elementary schools. We are going to try out a new concert schedule this year that we feel will benefit our students. We will gather feedback from staff and families at the end of the year to see how everyone felt it went.
Here is the concert schedule for Nooksack Elementary:
- February 10th: 2nd and 3rd grade
- March 15th: 4th and 5th grade
- May 24th: Kinder and 1st grade
A few reasons we would like to try this schedule:
- All concerts can be held during the school day so all students can perform.
- Having concerts by grade band (K-1, 2-3, 4-5), will give students more time to sing more songs. Families will get to see their child perform more pieces.
- By holding performances later in the year, students will feel more prepared and confident in their ability and readiness to stand in front of an audience and perform. Students will also be able to perform music they’ve learned in the classroom curriculum and will not need to deviate in order to prepare for a performance.
You may be wondering, “So no concert in December before Winter Break?” Yes, that’s correct. We will continue to plan a Spirit Week the week before break, and always have many festive activities with students and families. With November conferences and only two weeks in December before break, it is always a challenge to help all students feel truly ready and confident for a performance.
We look forward to trying out this concert schedule for the coming year and will send more details as the dates get closer. We appreciate your support!
Katie Brown (Principal)
Jackson Stewart (Music teacher)
NV Music Team
NES Family Handbook: Please click the document below
Volunteers are Welcome! Please fill out the paperwork
Please click here for the VOLUNTEER PACKET. You can also call the district office at (360) 988-4754 to see if your volunteer status is still active.