5th Grade Newspaper
Meet the Rutherford Elementary Principal
- What is your favorite winter activity? Snowboarding
- What inspired you to become a principal? Taking the leadership role and supporting and providing a positive and nurturing learning environment
- What is your favorite part of being a principal? Seeing students excited to learn
- What are your kids' names? Christian, Noah, and Anna
- Who is/are the most influential people/person in your life who inspired you to become a teacher? My parents! They were both educators and I wanted to follow their footsteps.
The Origin of Valentine's Day
Valentine's day is named after and dedicated to St.Valentine, a martyr. This means he died for his religion and what he believed in. He was a priest, who served during the 3rd and 4th centuries in Rome. The emperor at the time, Emperor Claudius II, believed that single men made better soldiers. So, in his mind, he decided that married men cannot be soldiers and those who were soldiers couldn't get married. St.Valentine didn't like that!
Who would? As stated above, St.Valentine did not like this, so he rebelled. Then, after Emperor Claudius II heard about this rebel, bad things happened. Unfortunately, St.Valentine was then sentenced to death. He was then considered a Saint for his sacrifice for love and others rights to love.
Meet some of the staff at Rutherford Elementary
- What made you choose kindergarten? Kindergarten has so much excitement for learning and everyday is a new opportunity!
- Do you have any pets? I do. I have a dog named Lola.
- What is your favorite season? Why? Summer because I like to swim, eat all the fresh fruits, and the heat.
- What is your favorite food? Why? Strawberries because they're so juicy.
- What is your favorite color? Why? Purple because it's bright and catches your attention.
- What was your childhood dream job? Why? To be a cartoonist because I like to draw cartoons.
- Did you play any instruments growing up? No, I did not play any instruments.
- What is your biggest fear? Why? Roaches because I don't like how they look and they're creepy.
- What is your favorite vegetable? Asparagus
- What is your favorite color? Why? Neon green because I like bright colors.
I asked Mrs.Wilson some questions and this is what she said:
- What is your favorite color? Hot pink
- What are the three most important things in your life? My family, my friends, and my students
- What is your favorite sport? Baseball
- What was your favorite subject in school? Math
- Where would you go for your dream vacation? Greece
- How many years have you been teaching for? I have been teaching for two and a half years.
- What is your favorite color? My favorite color is pink.
- What is your favorite subject to teach? My favorite subject to teach is language arts.
- What was your first job? My first job was working as a lifeguard at the Blue Ridge Country Club.
- Where did you go to college at? I went to Penn State college.
- Where did you go to college?
I did not go to college.
- What was your first job?
My first job was a receptionist at an insurance place.
- What is your favorite winter activity?
My favorite winter activity is snow tubing because if I ski I will hurt myself.
- What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is green.
- Why did you want to become a secretary?
It gave me a chance to be with the wonderful kids!
- How many kids do you have? 1 and her name is Emma. She is 15 years old.
- What is your favorite color? Light green
- What is your favorite winter activity? Reading because I don't like going out in the snow.
- When you were a child, what activities did you participate in? I was a girl scout, I played the flute, but overall I was a boring kid.
- What were your favorite memory as a child? Going to my grandparents' houses for weeks at a time.
- Whats your top 3 most challenging subjects? Writing, math and reading because some kids get confused.
- Where did you go to college? West Chester University in Philadelphia
- Are there 3 subjects that you love teaching? I love teaching math and science and also reading.
- What are your favorite 2 movies? I love the Lion King and Hercules.
- Is the math that you teach in your grade hard or easy? It depends on the student. It's sometimes easy, but can be hard.
Cyber Safety and Bullying
This on "Problem Solvers", we will cover cyber safety and bullying.
Have you ever been on the internet and someone says something mean? It happens to everyone! And that's why we're talking about it today. No one has the right to call you names. So why are people? We'll tell you how to get through it.
Here are some things you need to know:
- The only reason the bully is bullying you is because they think they are never going to be noticed or reported because teachers aren't around.
- As long as you don't worry or reply, they'll move on to another victim.
- Ignore them
- If the website you are on has a report button, press it and report their username.
- They just want attention so ignore them.
Here is how to stay safe while on the internet:
- Always ask permission to go on websites.
- Never use private information in bio's on social media accounts. (Meaning your last name, school, and age)
- Never give out other private information to strangers online. (Meaning your address, phone number, social security number, etc.)
- Never make plans with strangers to attend places.
The internet is extremely fun and useful. Just make sure you use it responsibly and safely. Stay safe!
5th Grade Surveys
What is your favorite winter activity?
Sledding: 45 students
Ice Skating: 19 students
Building a Snowman: 5 students
What is your favorite Holiday movie?
Elf: 32 students
Polar Express: 10 students
Grinch: 28 students
What is your favorite conversation heart candy color?
Choices of conversation heart color:
Pink: Nerino,2; Lightner,5; Wilson,7; Gainer 3
Orange: Nerino, 2,; Lightner,2; Wilson,4; Gainer,5
Yellow: Nerino,1; Lightner,0; Wilson,0; Gainer,1
Blue: Nerino,15; Lightner,10; Wilson,9; Gainer,10
Purple: Nerinio,0; Lightner.0; Wilson,1; Gainer,1
What is your favorite winter sport?