African Cultures Past Project
Ancient Civilizations of Africa.
- The people believed in spirits.
- People who died without funeral rites were known as Shaves in the afterlife.
- People that had been murdered or mistreated were known as Ngozis.
- Industry consisted of cattle raising, farming, weaving, pottery, iron working, ivory carving, and gold mining.
- Both men and women worked.
- Located inland from the south eastern coast of Africa.
- Rich in minerals like granite, iron, copper, and gold.
- Large amounts of rain are common.
- Is ruled by a king.
- Elected local chiefs to look over smaller areas of land.
Coastal City States
- Islamic Religion
- Houses built with flat roofs and porches.
- Shell fish was important to their diet.
- Kilwa produced cotton fabric, aragonite beads, honey, and coconuts.
- Kilwa had the largest port of all Swahili states.
- Located along the Indian Ocean.
- Coasts were very swampy.
- Only small parts of land were suitable for farming.
- Government had elected officials who oversaw trade, tax shipments, regulated ports, docks, and exchange centers.
Kingdom of Kongo
- Zambi was the supreme god for the Kongo Kingdom.
- Native language was Kikongo.
- Survive on agricultural production, fishing, and hunting.
- Slaves, ivory, and copper were traded to Europeans on the coast.
- Government collected taxes and fines from people.
- The Congo river is one of he worlds longest rivers.
- Congo's capital, is surrounded by rain forests.
- Congo's river's Basin consisted of forests, marshes, swamps, lakes, and many smaller rivers.
- Had a King and Governors.
- King is elected by a group of Governors which are elected by the people.
- Court consisted of numerous male relatives of the King.
- Were a mixture of farmers, traders, fishermen, and warriors, who rebelled Malli's leaders.
- Encouraged people to become Muslim.
- Islam is the official religion.
- Attracted many traders, especially Muslim traders.
- Had access to salt and gold mines.
- Located along the Niger River.
- Near the Sahara Desert.
- Ruled by Muslim rulers.