"PEEK at PEAK"
January 10 - Happy New Year!
PEAK OPEN HOUSE
Thursday, January 30th: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
You are invited to our Winter PEAK Open House. This is a come and go style Open House. We are excited to showcase both topic study and science work!
- We have started studying slogans and trademarks. This week your child should watch 30 minutes of TV commercials and/or view slogans on billboards as you drive to practices and lessons. Kids should record the slogans they discover on Edmodo.
- Please send in your child's tri-fold (you can choose size and color!)
January Work Sessions
I have tried to vary days and times of the optional work sessions. Please RSVP so I know who to expect. I will definitely need to know if you are attending the Saturday session because I will give out my cell number so you can call to get into the building.
- Thursday, January 9 - 8:00 AM
- Monday, January 13 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 15 - (Yes an evening time!) 3:45 PM - 6:30 PM
- Friday, January 17 - 7:45 AM
- Saturday, January 18 (Yes SATURDAY) - 9:30 AM - Noon
- Thursday, January 23 - 8:00 AM
- Monday, January 27 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 29 - 7:45 AM
- Topic Study: We have a lot going on in Topic Study! Students are finishing projects and preparing notes for display. We have really focused on depth of learning through our note taking and projects. It is important to note that the projects are 100% student completed. My focus this year has been on process not product. We have emphasized depth of learning. Additionally, It is important for the students to learn what a finished project "looks" like without modifications from adults. This is a huge step in the learning process. I am so proud of the students' effort and unique interpretation to their independent research project.
- Math: We continue to solve multi-step problems.
- Science: Today we finished lesson 6 on switches. Our next electricity concept is resistors.
- Today we worked on writing our persuasive nomination speech rough drafts. Students were actively engaged in the writing process! Students are following a writing outline. Next week, I will introduce Drop Box so students can save work virtually to work on at home! *(This is a BIG step)
Personal Growth and Development and Creativity
- Students finished a S'more poster on strengths and weaknesses of their personality.
- Today we discussed ingredients used in writing clever slogans.
- We also brainstormed in FFOE (Fluency, Flexibility, Originality and Elaboration) fashion to come up with a list of as many slogans as we know as a class.
New Apps are where it's at ---
We have learned the following new Technology Applications:
- Symbaloo - "PEAK PAD"
- Drop Box - Introduced next week!
- S'more poster