December 1, 2014
A great teacher is someone who can learn from their students, who can learn with them, and learns for them.--Robert Meehan
News to Roar About
- Thank you to all staff who took a few moments to complete the State DOE survey. Your input is important and we appreciate your feedback. If you have not filled it out, the link is still in the Roar below. :-)
- Thank you to Kathy Schmidt for all of your hard work to make the skyping session successful so that third graders could learn more about UNICEF. We appreciate how you modeled leadership, determination, and problem solving skills as well!
- Trisha Connor for your sharing session with the School Council on STEM at Harbins! They were most impressed!
- Office Clerical Staff for all the extra work on the Grandparents Lunch Days!
- Cafe Staff for preparing and serving all our guests on Grandparents Day. They served a total of 1,808 kids and guests with 44 Turkeys and 60 gallons of tea!! Incredible! We know you are exhausted, but know it was a job very well done!
- CONGRATULATIONS!! Cyndy Palmer for yet another outstanding Inventory year. Harbins Elementary earned the Gold Award for Exemplary Textbook Inventory @ 99.74% Thank you for all the hard work you do each and every day!
- Teachers and Staff for all of your hard work every day at Harbins. American Education Week gave us a moment to stop and appreciate the importance of the outstanding education you provide for our students! Thank you for participating in the fun for the week!
- Congratulations to Amy Crook, Amanda Acres, Cheryl Hall and Cyndy Palmer for winning gift cards in the Tacky Educator Fashion Contest. You were good sports and we appreciate your efforts to share your best tacky wear!
- Morning car rider duty folks are greatly appreciated! You guys are grace under fire at 8:10 each morning. Thank you for welcoming our students with a smile regardless of any circumstances going on around you.
- Thank you Shelly Everett for the beautiful art work you and your students provided for the Grandparent's Luncheon. You are always so willing to help out with all school events! The art work is gorgeous!
- Thank you to our outstanding parapros for making our special guests feel so welcome and for showing them to their tables, etc. during grandparents' lunches! Our guests were so grateful for your support and warm welcome to the cafe!
- Paula, Mia and Jennifer for organizing, making posters, sign in sheets, etc. for grandparents' luncheon. The guests had a great first impression, thanks to your hard work!
- Thank you to our teachers for making sure our parents knew the lunch time for grandparents lunches and helping them know which date to come for lunch. A great time was had by all!
- Thank you to Mandy McGee for always being willing to help with my little friends! I appreciate your support greatly!!!
- Thank you to Thomas Woolfolk for always being the "go to" person for me in technology. He never complains and is always willing to help in anyway!! You are awesome!!!
- Thank you to Marie Patterson for your support and your positive attitude!! You are soooooo appreciated!!!! :)
- To our support team and their coaching! We know it takes a lot of time on your part to plan coaching sessions and we appreciate your support in helping our work grow!
- To the teachers for communicating so well with our parents about grandparents day. We had an outstanding turnout because of your great communication!
- Thank you for making our principal for a day, Matt Smith, feel so welcome at Harbins. He was extremely impressed with what he saw and experienced. Thank you for making his visit so memorable!
- Thank you to our Action Teams for another great planning session! You are doing excellent work to support great learning for students!
- 5th grade for stepping up to the plate to do whatever it takes to do for your students! We appreciate your teamwork and collaboration in the best interest of kids! Kuods!
- Aline Harrington for your initiative to support students in need.
PTA Teacher Grants--DEADLINE IS THIS WEEK!
If you purchase something that costs more than $50, you can still turn in your receipt and get reimbursed for $50 of that expense.
Breakfast With Santa Volunteers
It is almost time for Breakfast with Santa. If you signed up to work at BWS, please see the PTA VoluntterSpot online sign up. Staff members working the event should sign up for an hour shift. Let us know if you have any questions.
Professional Learning will take place in the Book Room on Thursday, December 4th. We will use this time to share and reflect Toolkit lessons you have completed with your students. Please bring a student sample (paper or technology) if possible! We will also be completing midyear Framework Continuums.
4th and 5th Grade Teachers: Please don't forget to email J. Dalton with the top two winners from your classroom spelling bee. The deadline for names is Friday, December 5th.
F & P Kit Rotation: Please begin rotating kits for winter assessments the week we return from Thanksgiving break. This should give everyone plenty of time to complete reading assessments prior to the January 23rd deadline. It's probably a good time to make sure scripts are stocked in tubs. Please let Jennifer Dalton know if scripts are needed.
NO RBES Survey Meeting on December 2--The district will administer the survey at a later date.
Bruster's Blue Ice is on sale at lunch on Friday, December 5--please remind students.
- Please welcome Hazel Choxom to the Harbins family. Hazel will serve in the role of paraprofessional in Kristin Smith's classroom. We are excited to have Hazel at Harbins and look forward to working with her. Stop by and say hello to Hazel!
Personal Leave Requests
Class Winter Parties
Montine will get exact times for your class party (watch for an email from her) and compile those for the office to be able to answer phone calls. The front gates will be locked on December 19 with so much foot traffic coming and going. We want everyone to be safe. so be sure parents are aware. We will post in the Peek as well. Don't forget…ALL parties must end by 2:00.
Grades 1 and 3 between 9:00 and 10:30
Grade 4 between 10:00 and 11:45
Grade 2 between 10:45 and 12:30
Grade 5 between 12:00 and 1:45
Grades K between 12:30 and 2:00
EXCITING NEWS FOR HARBINS!
Staff Survey for GA Department of Education
Please take a moment to click the link below to complete the survey if you have not already. Be careful on the ratings as the items can shift in a way that make you look at the ratings differently. That will make sense once you complete the survey. Just be sure to read the items and choices carefully.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Media Center News
Check out what is happening in the Media Center with a NEW Smore for OCTOBER
Information on upcoming story times and how to sign up for a Genius hour research lesson
Grade Level Professional Learning
- December 3- Tool Time
- December 4 - Grade level Staff Development - Math/Literacy
- December 10 -Grade Level Business
- December 11- School Net Training with Chris Rogers
- January 5- 8:00-11:00- STEM Professional Development- Agenda to be Shared before the break
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on December 2 from 1:15- 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read Chapter 4 of Change Leader for our session.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file will be shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning for August when Montine sends out the notification email.