Arts Magnet News!
August 22-26, 2022
Week 39 for Families and Community May 29-June 2, 2023
Honoring and Remembering
Dear Altadena Eliot Arts Families,
I cannot believe I am writing the final S'more of the school year! Time has certainly flown and we've accomplished so much much together. Monday we honor and remember those who have died serving in the US Armed Forces. However you choose to spend the day, I hope you enjoy time with friends and family.
We are in need of one more host family for our third intern. Please contact Dr. S ASAP if you are interested.
We are looking for volunteers to support our 8th grade events. Please sign up here: https://forms.gle/uxPcKP8998qmtb4o7
- May 29 Memorial Day NO SCHOOL
- May 30 Kinder Promotions
- May 31 5th Grade Promotion @ 8:30 am
- May 31 8th Grade Promotion @ 5:00 pm
- June 1st LAST DAY OF SCHOOL/SHORTENED DAY
- Elementary day ends at 12:30 pm
- Middle School ends at 1:00 pm
SAVE THE DATES:
- Middle School Husky Days
- Monday, July 31 6th Grade 9:00 am - 12 noon
- Wednesday, August 2nd 7th Grade 9:00 am - 12 noon, 8th Grade 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Thursday August 3rd Welcome Back BBQ 4:00 - 6:00 pm
- Elementary Popsicle Party
- Tuesday, August 8 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
If you are leaving PUSD, please make sure to turn in all district devices and materials. Look for your summer mailing and family handbook arriving at your home at the end of June.
It's been a wonderful school year and we thank you for sharing your beautiful children with us!
Yours in Service,
Dr. Scheckel, Principal
Welcome Ms. Navarette!
Please give a huge Cougar Welcome to our new English Kindergarten Teacher, Ms. Melina Navarette! Ms. Navarette replaces Ms. Gould who has been promoted to our new full time art teacher! Great things are happening at AAM and we are so fortunate to welcome Ms. Navarette to our team.
"Hello All! I am so excited to join the team and look forward to meeting you all soon!
I am from Baldwin Park, CA and am the youngest of 4 (2 sisters and 1 brother). I graduated from University of California, Santa Cruz with a BA in Psychology in 2016 and will be graduating with a MA in Education and Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials in June 2023 from Alder Graduate School of Education. I was able to complete my year-long co-teaching Residency in a Kindergarten Classroom. During my free time I love to travel, craft, and spend time with my family, friends, and dog. I look forward to working with you all and am thrilled to meet you all soon!"
Welcome Ms. Jenny Marquez!
Please give a huge Cougar welcome to our new first grade teacher, Ms. Jenny Marquez.
Ms. Marquez has this to say, "I am so excited to join the Altadena family! I have a wonderful husband Arthur, who has worked at JPL as a thermal engineer for 26 years. I have two children. I have my son Tyler, who is 18 years old. He just finished his first year at Occidental College. My daughter Tiffani is 14 years old and she is just finishing up 8th grade. Both kids play soccer. I love spending time with them and watching them play soccer on the weekends.
This is my 19th year teaching for PUSD. I taught 6th grade at Elliot Arts Magnet back in 2003. I worked at San Rafael for a year teaching first grade. Ever since then, I fell in love teaching first grade. I also taught first grade at Madison for six years. Then, I moved to Willard, where I spent the last ten years teaching first grade and Kindergarten and a year being the reading interventionist. I am happy to be starting my 20th year of teaching here at Altadena.
I really look forward to working and getting to know the staff, students, and families at Altadena this year!"
Elementary Spring Concert!
Elementary Staff vs. Fifth Grade Kickball Game!
Fifth Graders go to Knott's Berry Farm!
Eighth Grade Breakfast with our Fabulous Parent Volunteers!
2024 K-8 Spring Musical Announced!
An opportunity to meet several famous Sci Fi writers as well as Caltech and JPL scientists talking about the recently published anthology, Inner Space and Outer Thoughts: Speculative Fiction From Caltech and JPL Authors. We’d love to see young people who enjoy science and literature there, and tickets are free!
Please consider making a recurring donation of $45 to one or both of our Annual Funds! Our annual funds help to create a bridge for special services and arts programs at each of our campuses. Our annual funds are separate. Altadena's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Tasiah LeConte and Eliot's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Wendy Silva. Please join their committees and consider making a donation today!
- 1-5 Elementary Book Fair
- 4 Elementary Open House @ 5:30 pm
- 8-12 Teacher and Nurses Appreciation Week
- 8 Eighth Grade Defenses Begin
- 9 Elementary SSC Meeting @ 3:00 pm virtually
- 11 Elementary Spring Photo Day by appointment only
- 12 Final Cougar Values Awards Assembly @ 7:50 in the auditorium
- 13 Fauxchella!
- 16 Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast @ 8:30 am in the Eliot Library
- 17 Black History Living Museum
- 18 Final Elementary School Tour of the year @ 9:00 am
- 19 Final Middle School Tour @ 8:30 am
- 20 End of the year Middle School Theatre Awards
- 23 Joint PTSA Meeting @ 6pm Eliot Library
- 24 8th Graders to Knott's Berry Farm
- 25 5th Grade Staff vs. Fifth Grade Kickball Game
- 25 8th Grade Promotion Practice #1
- 26 5th Graders to Knott's Berry Farm
- 26 8th Grade Promotion Practice #2
- 29 Memorial Day/School Closed
- 30 Kindergarten Promotions
- 30 8th Grade Picnic/6-7 Grade Field Day
- 31 Fifth Grade Promotion @ 8:30 am Elementary Auditorium
- 31 8th Grade Promotion @ 5:00 pm Middle School Auditorium
- 1 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS