News and notes for the week of 8/23/2021
Week one is in the books and it was A GREAT one!
AISD Superintendent Dr. Stephanie Elizalde came to visit!
Principal's Message to Hornet Families for the week of August 23rd, 2021
Thank you for a great week one! This past week our teachers focused on building relationships and community in the classroom and at lunch. Our scholars adjusted to the "disconnect to reconnect" effort seamlessly. It was great to see them safely socializing and making new friends. We made many tweaks to our campus operations such as the morning drop off, where we now celebrate a two lane approach and trimmed tree to make it all possible. Classroom energy was GREAT as students got to know each other and their teachers. Our Math department began MAP testing to get a gauge of where our students are at the beginning of the year. This week our English department will also MAP test. Once these first round of exams are completed we will have a base line to monitor our scholars' growth over the course of the year. Our goal is to see each and every student make progress both educationally and socially this year. Our mantra is, "P.N.P - Progress Not Perfection". Everyone learns, everyone grows, we all make progress. Thank you for trusting us with your child's learning and safety, we will continue to do our absolute best to provide a GREAT learning experience for everyone on our campus.
2021-2022 Initiatives and Goals
1.) Daily Formative Assessment
2.) Literacy in Every Classroom
3.) Standards Aligned Instruction
4.) Progress Monitoring
Utilizing an array of assessments (MAP- Measure of Academic Progress, SCA - AISD Short Course Assessment, and STAAR - State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness), the percentage of each demographic/special group of students performing at the meets level in Math & English will increase by at least 5% - 10% from August 17th, 2021 to May 27th,2022.
- TBA (we are still working on this but planning to look at the types of counseling visits our students are requesting)
Click here to view our Parent Support Specialist's Newsletter for the week of 8/15/2021
Click here to view the parent orientation presentation from August 10th & 11th. It will also be found on the school website Monday. We will post the responses to the questions submitted on our website as well.
Unlikely Heroes! Thank you for helping out!
Keya Wallace, Lisa Bush, and Adrian Aldaco came from Central Office to Help out with Lunches!
Principal's Assistant Ruby Palmer Helped out with Lunches!
Mr. Felan helped with lunches!
AISD Leadership in HVAC and operations made adjustments everyday
Mr. Ezekial Pittman helped with lunches!
When one of our wings of AC went down, AISD Operations showed up within 15 minutes to get us back on line!
We had over 30 volunteers and 5 staff members !
KMS Safety Protocols as of 8/22/2021
Mask wearing is mandatory
All staff, students, and visitors are encouraged to self screen for COVID 19 symptoms before entering into a campus or other Austin ISD Facilities each day
- We will maintain outdoor markers to social distance
- we will encourage moving halls where students are encourage to not stop while transitioning to classes
- We are space seating/desks at least 3 feet apart when feasible
- Each classroom will have a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filtration unit
- Personal Protective Equipment will be available in each room
Breakfast & Lunch
- students are allowed to eat lunch both inside the cafeteria and outside in the courtyard
- we will have staggered dismissal where scholars will be dismissed by areas of the building to reduce traffic.
Monday - August 23rd - A Day
Tuesday - August 24th - B Day
Wednesday - August 25th - A Day
Thursday - August 26th- B Day
- Young Scientist Meeting
- Lady Hornet Volleyball vs Lively , A team games at Kealing & B team games at Lively
Friday - August 27th - A Day
- Elective changes due
- Teacher Assistant Applications due
- Office Aid Applications due
Saturday - August 28th
2021-2022 Bus Information
Families whose students are eligible for transportation will receive their bus information by
email or letter on Aug 3rd. The district’s “Bus Stop Finder"; will be live on Aug 3rd. Families
whose students have special needs will receive their information in person from their bus
teams starting the second week of August.
AISD’s transportation team offers families the “WheresTheBus” app, which provides timely
information about the location of their student’s bus, including when it will arrive at their stop.
The free app is available on any device with internet access (smartphone, tablet, personal
computer, iPad)—and takes less than five minutes to install. Instructions are available at
Follow Us on Social Media
Hornet Herald - http://www.kealingmiddleschool.org/parents/hornet-herald
Twitter - @KTXHornets
Webpage - https://kealing.austinschools.org/
Entries must be submitted by Thursdays weekly to be included in the upcoming week's communication.
After School Events Beginning and Continuing this week This Week
- Busses arrive at 5:00p & line up outside of cafeteria
- Students must have a pass from a coach(sport), sponsor(club), teacher(office hours) to ride the bus. Students cannot ride the late bus if they do not have a pass.
- Late busses drop off at the Austin ISD elementary school nearest a student's home
- Late bus eligibility, eligible students :
- live outside of AISD Walkability Zone (3.5 miles or more)
- Check eligibility by clicking here and entering your address
Click here to access club options
- Magic the Gathering Starts this Week, all other clubs stay tuned- TBA
- Students have a pass to office hours in order to attend Think tank
- Monday - Thursday
- 3:45p - 5:00p
- Location: Cafeteria
- After School Tutorials/space to do homework for Students
- Tuesday - Thursday
- Zoom is available but quarantined students will be prioritized since they will not have access to synchronous learning
- Click here for Kealing Middle School Teachers' Office Hour Availability
- Spectators for events: 2 parents / athlete allowed at event until further notice
- Cross Country
Back to School Night is September 7th,2021
There may be a virtual opportunity also, still to be deternined.
Important Items due Friday 8/27/2021 !
Office Aid & Teacher Aid ApplicationsWhere to get an application: Program Office
Only for students in grades 7 & 8
Office aide positions will replace a single semester elective only.
A parent signature required
There are a limited number of positions.
For Teacher Assistant only: Sponsor teacher signature required
Elective Change Forms
Where to get it: KMS Elective Change Form
At the top of the google form there is a link to available electives sorted by period AND links to the coursebook for descriptions.’
Join the Kealing Parent Teacher Association
The Kealing PTA is excited to welcome everyone back!
Don't forget to …
- Join the Kealing PTA (annual membership) a nonprofit association of parents, teachers, staff, and community members working together to support the success of all children at Kealing Middle School: https://form.jotform.com/KealingPTA/join-donate
- Donate to the the Kealing PTA no-hassle fundraiser that supports Kealing with field trips, parent/student programs, additional classroom resources and grounds upkeep to name a few: http://www.kealingpta.org/donate
- Purchase your Kealing spirit wear to support our school and show our pride: https://form.jotform.com/KealingPTA/kms-spirit-wear
We’re looking forward to a fantastic school year and thank you in advance for your support.