- They had two kings ruling
- They had a 28-member council of elders that limited their powers
- These men were recruited from the aristocratic Spartiates
- When they were born the government decided if they were strong enough to be a Spartan citizen.
- At the age of seven males would be taken from their mothers and were sent to a special military base to train to be in the military and they had to stay there for 23 years.
- Spartans ate Black Broth which is meat cooked in blood and vinegar
- The Spartans religion was Polytheism which means that they worshiped many gods, they worshiped Zeus, Poseidon, Athena.
- Spartan schooling is when the males were taken from their mothers at the age of seven and they stayed at a special military base and they would train to be in the army.
Important places/buildings and their use
- acropolis- On top of a hill, fortified, important temples and government buildings there.
- Agora- Open area below Acropolis, market, other government buildings
- Battle of Thermopylae
- The Spartans fought the Persians
- Spartans had 600 men and the Persians had 100,00 men
- The Spartans with the help of other Greeks lost the battle
- It was a key city-state
- Spartan warriors were thought to be the best ground fighters
- In the war against the Persians the Spartans were in charge of the whole army
- Life in Sparta was based on their army
- Only Spartans who died in battle and and women who died during birth were entitled to have their name on their gravestones