Ms. Mary's Class
Class 2C at the Elementary School, ASD, Doha.
Week 23, February 18th, 2016
What a great field trip it was! For a first attempt, all went well and the wait for the freshly baked bread was well worthwhile! Our visit to the Dhow on the Corniche, and the trading of the pearls for cash, really made us understand the life of a pearl diver. Many thanks to the mums who joined us and helped out as chaperones.
Grade 2 students will be presenting the musical Whether the Weather by Andy Beck and Brian Fisher on Feb. 23 (Tuesday) from 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM (please be seated by 11:15) , in the ASD Theater. This will be a wonderful opportunity to see and hear the students as they integrate science, language arts and music learning in one exciting production! Please remember to send in the plain GREY t-shirt for your child to wear, on Sunday - we will keep it in school for the dress rehearsal on Monday and the show on Wednesday.
We're looking forward to seeing you at the performance!
Look out for Friendship Festival t-shirts as you exit at gate 5 this coming week; wear the t-shirt and entry to the festival is free on 26th.
Never a dull moment at ASD!
14 February - 18 February Read Week
14 February - Class Valentine Party
14 February - Dress as what you love day
15 February - 18 February Elementary Used Book Sale outside the elementary library - before and after school
17 February - Dress as your favorite book character day (Lower elementary students only)
17 & 18 February - Dhow and Souk Field Trips
23 February - Grade 2 Musical Time: 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM (please be seated by 11:25) Location: ASD Theater.
26 February Friendship Festival
- Math: While we continued to practice our new strategies for adding and subtracting, in the context of real word problems, we also considered why we would choose one strategy above another, what made one more efficient than the other. We also paid attention to how we draw (RDW) or represent our problems, quite often using tape diagrams. The unit will come to an end next week.
- Reading: Right away we were able to summarise that these make-believe tales usually have a good and an evil force in them, that they often include magic and that sometimes there’s a lesson to be learned from them. We kicked off the unit with an immersion in familiar and some less-familiar folktales and fairytales, when we noticed the clues that help us to learn more about the characters. We are looking forward to understanding more about our characters' feelings and thoughts so that we can step into their shoes and role-play them with our peers.
- Writing: We began the unit by brainstorming some issues that we all felt strongly about. Opinions were expressed about why parents should allow kids to have pets, why there should not be any homework in Grade 2 and why the school day is too long. We now know that we can use our writing to persuade others to believe what we believe! Watch out parents!
- Social Studies: We have started to discuss why the population in Qatar has exploded in recent decades, what the reasons for this have been and what are the consequences and outcomes that have utterly changed the culture of Qatar. Meanwhile our field trip helped us to better understand the concept of needs and wants as we traded the spoils of a pearl diving trip (cash from the pearls) with the purchase of a necessity like bread for the family. We quickly realised that life as a pearl diver was not very lucrative and that they were usually preoccupied with providing for the needs of their families.
Lower Elementary Math Parent Drop-in
Our Math Coordinator, Mrs. Carol Little will be holding a Lower Elementary parent drop in / office hour every Wednesday from 2:00 – 3:00pm. Mrs. Little will be available at this time every week to assist parents who need further information about our Math program or who would like help / suggestions with how to support their children at home. It will be held in Ms. Mindy Martin’s office.
IXL practice for this Math unit
Important Information from the LES Office
Nannies and Drivers are not allowed on campus until 2:45pm daily. If you are sending a driver or nanny to pick up your child throughout the school day for an appointment or other reasons you need to let the Elementary Office know by email. Please email Deb Fenley firstname.lastname@example.org and Swati Korpal email@example.com the following information: Who will be picking up your child, what time they will pick up and the reason for picking the child up and family ID Number which is located on your ID badge.
Gate 5 Entry Update
After 8:00am parents can enter through Gate 5 on days when there are Principal Coffee Mornings, Counsellors Coffee or Workshops and Let’s Do Math Workshops.
Parents picking up sick students can enter through Gate 5, the ES Nurses will leave the parents name with the Guard House for easy and quick access.
Friendship Festival T-Shirt Orders
Remember to please bring in your Friendship Festival T-Shirt orders by Sunday January 31st. T-Shirts will be sold at Gate 5 and Gate 8 the week of February 21st - 25th. This year's Friendship Festival T-Shirt gives you free entrance to this year's Friendship Festival which will be on February 26th.
National Foreign Language Week, March 7 – 13, 2016 (All the World language team and classes)
Pass it forward: world language students will teach the community a word they have learned
- Selected students will say hello in different languages each day over the intercom
Hour of Code - learning to code / program
New Entry to Campus Procedures
Starting January 17th, 2016 there will be some changes for students and parents entering the ASD Campus supporting student safety. All students will be required to scan their Dragon Wristband entering and exiting the campus. It is recommended that you remind your child to wear their wristband daily. Replacement Dragon bands may be purchased at the front desk of the Administrative entrance for 50 qr. Wristbands will be distributed to Lower Elementary Students next week by their teachers. Your child's dragon band will be labeled with their name on a key tag. We kindly ask parents to keep this label on the wrist band for easy identification.
Parents and domestic staff will not be permitted through Gate 5 for morning drop off. Students may enter through Gate 5 using their wristbands and teachers will be there to supervise starting at 7:40 am. Parents wishing to accompany their children to classes are asked to enter through Gates 8 & 10.
Pick-up procedures will remain the same, parents will be able to enter and exit the campus through Gate 5 from 2:45 - 4:15 PM. Pick up procedures for PACT Tuesdays and our Pre-K Students will also remain the same, parents will be able to enter through Gate 5 at 12:15 PM. We kindly ask parents and guests to enter through Gate 8 during the school day. We thank you for your continued patience and cooperation as we work to keep our school safe and continue the improvements to the ASD campus.
ASD 2016 Calendars FOR SALE!
The 2016 ASD Calendars will be for sale in the Elementary Office starting Sunday December 6th. These make great gifts for friends and family, get yours today!
Tuesday After School Activity Pick Up
Parents picking up students from After School Activities on Tuesdays should enter through Gate 8. A kind reminder to all parents to bring and display your ASD Dragon Card at all times while on campus.
Students are not allowed on the playground equipment at Gate 5 until after 3:15 PM. Children MUST be supervised by an adult at all times. Adults must be present on the playground and be able to see your child(ren). If children are left unsupervised they will be asked to leave the playground immediately for safety reasons.
There are students in your child’s class who have nut allergies. A child with nut allergy can develop mild or severe reactions if they come in contact with the said allergen. Please take note of the following measures:
· Please be considerate of your child’s classmates when sending in snacks (avoid sending any nuts or nut products)
· Children should be encouraged to wash their hands before and after lunch, prior to returning to the classroom to avoid any cross-contamination.
· For any special occasions, please be reminded that any food brought in to the class should be nut free.
So many more reading resources here. Class name username is mmulqueen2, no password is required.
Explain Everything movies
Explain Everything movies made to show the arrow way and place value tile/chip model strategies