Delran High School Broadcast
November 20, 2020
A Message from Mr. Finkle!
This is my last broadcast for the month of November. Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the holiday with loved ones. As Burlington Township has now been placed into the High Risk category, it is imperative that we all continue to follow Covid-19 protocols to remain safe. Just a friendly reminder that there is no school on Thursday, November 26th and Friday, November 27th!
Although we have moved to a remote schedule, our virtual health office is still up and running. If your child tests positive for Covid-19 or needs to quarantine as per the Burlington County Health Department, please contact Faith Bowman at 856-461-6100 x3011 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are having connectivity or Chromebook issues, please go to Delran Township Help Desk and complete the login. You must have your child's email address(without the @delranschools.org) and his/her password. They will be more than happy to help you!
Materials pick-up and drop-off is scheduled for next week. Please see below for the specifics!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com or (856) 461-6100 x3005.
How the Pandemic Affects Teenagers' Mental Health
The pandemic has totally upended what daily life is like for all of us — but especially teenagers. Instead of days filled with in-person classes, after-school hangouts, sports, and more, many adolescents are attending school virtually and missing all those IRL interactions with their peers. Click here to read a very interesting article about this serious issue.
DHS November/December Calendar
- 11/20 Financial Aid Night - Virtual
- 11/23 BOE Mtg., 7:30 pm Virtual
- 11/26 & 11/27 - School Closed - Happy Thanksgiving
- 12/1 ASVAB Test
- 12/15 Qtr. 2 Interim Grades on Portal
- 12/21 BOE Mtg., DMS, 7:30 pm
- 12/23 Early Dismissal
- 12/24-1/1 School Closed - Winter Recess
- 1/4/21 School Resumes
- View Full Calendar
Financial Aid Night
As a result of Covid-19 cases, Financial Aid Night will now be held virtually. Start planning financially for your child’s college, university, or trade-school experience now! On Friday, November 20th, a pre-recorded Financial Aid presentation will be accessible to you on the DHS website under the Guidance Webpage. Wilbert Casaine, the Executive Director of The College of New Jersey, will virtually present information about the different types/sources of aid, the application process, and the financial aid package. Click here for Mr. Casaine's pre-recorded Financial Aid PowerPoint.
If you have any questions regarding financial aid after viewing Mr. Casaine’s presentation, please reach out to your child’s guidance counselor or the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) at (800)792-8670.
Dr. Danielle Bowen
The required senior testers must bring their fully charged, school-issued Chromebooks with them to the testing location. Students will not be admitted into the testing area if they do not have their Chromebooks. Extra computers and charging stations will not be provided. All senior testers must arrange their transportation to and from school. Teachers have been notified of students who are testing on this day and their attendance will be excused only for the morning classes that are missed. Following the test, all students are expected to immediately return home to log into their remaining classes remotely.
Material Pickup/Return Day
We will be having another class materials pick-up/return for ALL students on Wednesday, December 2nd from 1:30 to 3:30 pm and Thursday, December 3rd from 12:30 to 3:30 pm. Bags will be organized by student's last name only. The material pick-up/return will take place at two locations:
- Bus Lane (A to M) - Parents please enter the school parking lot from Hartford Road and come down the bus lane. You will grab the bag and keep straight exiting on Conrow Road.
- Outside Main Gym (N to Z) - Parents please enter the school parking lot from Hartford Road and pass the bus lane and head down towards the Main Gym door. You will grab your bag and loop around near the tennis courts to exit on Conrow Road.
Read All About It
MS/HS PTA Fundraisers
The Delran MS/HS PTA is hosting two fundraisers: Holiday Gift Card Tree Raffle and Holiday Ornament Sale. We have 3 Trees/Wreaths each valued at $495.00 and full of gift cards
just in time for Holiday Shopping! Tickets are $5.00 each or 5 for $20.00. Please click here to purchase your tickets. Checks and Venmo are accepted. Drawing will be held on Facebook Live on Sunday, December 6th at 3pm.
Attention All You Cotton-headed Ninny Muggins:
Instead of the Santa's Lunch this year, we will be selling ornaments to commemorate this Son of Nutcracker year. The fee is $15.00 for a goodie bag delivered by the Delran Bear and some Senior Elves on Saturday, December 12th. Click here for detailed information.
Meal Request Form
As the 2020-2021 school year begins, we will be offering breakfast and lunch to PICK UP for those students who are learning both hybrid and fully remotely. This is available to ALL STUDENTS AT NO COST! Meals are available to ALL STUDENTS at NO CHARGE through December 31, 2020.
One hundred percent Remote Learners will receive all 5 breakfasts and all 5 lunches listed below. Hybrid Learners (learning remotely 3 days a week) will receive 3 breakfast and 3 lunches for the days that you are learning remotely. PICK UP DAY will be on WEDNESDAY at Delran High School (52 Hartford Road) or Delran Middle School (309 S Chester Ave) from 12:30 to 1:30 pm and 6:30 to 7:30 pm.
We are asking that you fill out this form PRIOR TO PICKING UP MEALS! Please place your order by 9 AM on TUESDAY! The form will be turned off at 9 am to allow us to organize and prepare the meals. The Meal Request Form is located on the school website under the Parent tab.
Free & Reduced Lunch Applications
All students who are eligible for Free and Reduced Lunch need to complete an application for the 2020-2021 school year as soon as possible. Listed below are the applications in multiple languages:
Virtual College Access Fair for African-American/Black and Hispanic/Latinx Students & Families
All are welcome to attend a College Fair, Meetings with Financial Aid Experts, and Sessions on Admission, Financial Aid & More. It will be held entirely online this Saturday, November 21st! Please register to attend at cicu.org/CAF2020. See flyer below.
NJ Association for College Admission Counseling
Virtual College Exploration is for all New Jersey Students. Explore this website as a great resource with over 150 recorded webinars!!
Scholarship in the Spotlight
The John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest presented by the JFK Library and Museum is open to all US high school students. Multiple prizes will be awarded including a $10,000 1st-place award.
All students 10th -12th have an account.
Naviance is a web-based tool that allows your student to explore their values, personality, strengths and correlate them to career clusters. It directs them to colleges with suggested majors so that they can build a list of colleges to explore.
Seniors and Juniors can see upcoming college visitations and request to attend directly in Naviance.
All students should be building their personal activity resume.
Ask your student to share with you what they are doing in Naviance.
- Students at all grade levels are encouraged to begin exploring colleges
- Build your list of colleges of interest in Naviance.
- Consult the Guidance website’s subsection, “College and Career Virtual Tours and Information”. Check this page often as it is updated when new tour and virtual Open Houses are made available. Many events are exclusively for DHS students and may require registration for select events.
Throughout the school year scholarships are posted on the Guidance webpage, listed in Naviance, search engines are in Collegeboard.org, and Fast-web.com.
Click here for currently available scholarships.
Mr. Guidotti's Update
As another Fall DHS athletic season comes to a close, there were so many exciting moments that occurred. As I reflect upon those memories, I am so appreciative of the following individuals that made this Fall season possible:
- Thank you to the Delran Township Board of Education, Dr. Brian Brotschul and Mr. Daniel Finkle for allowing the summer session and Fall 2020 season to occur. The confidence that you showed in our Athletic Department is recognized and we hope that we made you proud.
- Thank you to Mr. David Caplin for continuing to put our students in the best position to succeed and be safe. Your knowledge and feedback helped to shape the execution of this season and provided us valuable guidance that kept our students safe on and off the field.
- Thank you to the coaches of all of our Fall sports. I know all of the hours that you put into your programs. Sleepless nights, time away from your families to plan, standing in the cold and rain. You are all not just coaches, you are teachers, mentors, leaders and listeners. Your students cherish every moment with you. Thank you for making every opportunity that the students got together as memorable as possible.
- Thank you to all of the parents who support their children 100%. The passion you show for your students, their teams and the Delran Athletic Department is unmatched by any school district in New Jersey.
- Most importantly, thank you to every student who participated in Fall 2020 athletics. You are an amazing group of students. All of you showed up each day and gave it your all. Your smiles, laughter, effort and hustle all season will be ingrained in my head forever. The season did not end as you had wanted but do not dwell on what you were not able to finish. Cherish what you were able to accomplish. Remember all of the great memories that were made, the friendships that were created, the athletic family that you gained during this difficult time. Delran Township and Delran High School are so proud of how you represented our school district. I am very proud of all of you.
Winter Sports Physicals Due
Exciting news! Delran will attempt to have Winter sports this school year! Please click here to begin registering your child for a Winter 2020-2021 sport. Registration will close on Wednesday, December 2nd. Please turn in all new physicals to the DHS main office. Make sure that the physicals are filled in completely.
Any questions, please contact Maureen Flanagan at extension 3003 or Anthony Guidotti, Director of Athletics, at extension 3016.
CLASS OF 2021 HEADQUARTERS
2021 “Spirit” Yearbook on Sale Now
Class of 2020 Yearbook Still Available
Did you miss out on the 2020 yearbook? A limited number of books are available for sale at $80.00. Provide a receipt that you purchased the 2021 book and get the 2020 at half price while supplies last. Email Ms. Justine Carey for information firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Recognition Ad
Create a Senior Recognition Ad for your student. Go to jostensadservice.com to build your ad. Deadline is Monday, January 11, 2021.
As has been tradition, the yearbook editors invite you to submit a baby and/or childhood photo(s) along with a personal message to celebrate the successes and milestones of your child and to reflect upon the person they have become. This commemorative can be as small or as large as you need for incorporating your memory in the yearbook. Download this flyer for size and pricing information and how to order.
If you Purchase a FULL PAGE Senior Recognition Ad, the DHS Yearbook club will give you a FREE yearbook. Purchased the book already? You will be reimbursed in February once the full page ad purchase is confirmed.
If you did not purchase your student’s book, it will be ordered in January by Ms. Justine Carey once your full page ad purchase is confirmed. Any questions, email Ms. Carey at email@example.com.
Want a FREE yearbook?
You can earn a discount on the purchase of the 2021 yearbook by selling advertising space to local businesses. Download the advertising contract here and take it to community businesses and ask them to help support the students of the Delran High School SPIRIT by their participation in our advertising section. Make sure to enter your full name at the top of the contract so that you earn the discount! Your yearbook will be discounted based on the total amount of advertising sold:
- Full Page: FREE
- 1/2 page: $40.00
- 1/4 page: $20.00
- 1/8 page: $10.00
If you have any questions, please contact me at (856) 461-6100 x3012 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Ad commitments must be returned to Ms. Justine Carey by January 16, 2021.
DELRAN HIGH SCHOOL NITTY GRITTIES
Stay informed with Mr. Finkle's previous Broadcasts!