"Be the change you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi
Upcoming Community Engagement & Service Opportunities
- WVWC students are teaming up to impact the lives of local children! A mentoring interest meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 17th at 5 pm for anyone interested in becoming a mentor for Appalachian Impact in the side dining hall of Aladdin. Appalachian Impact is a mentoring program that serves at-risk students in the local elementary and middle schools. If you are interested in the program but are unable to attend the interest meeting, please email Brittany Johnk (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jamie Blake (email@example.com), Amanda Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Luke Teel (email@example.com).
- Volunteers are needed for the annual Habitat for Humanity Fundraising Dinner at First United Methodist Church-Buckhannon on Friday, September 20, 2013 from 5-7 pm. If you can help or need directions, e-mail Katie Loudin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Annual Events team is coordinating volunteers for the Upshur County Children's Festival on Saturday, September 21st. Everyone can help! If you're part of a group, you can create an activity for a table, help at tables that need volunteers to run them, or help with setup and/or tear-down. If you'd like to volunteer as an individual, there are plenty of stations that need your help! The festival lasts from 10 am-2 pm with setup beginning at 8:30 am and tear-down beginning at 2 pm. Need help coming up with ideas for a table or do you have other questions? E-mail Elaine Ashman at (email@example.com). Ready to sign-up? Group sign-up is here: https://orgsync.com/25319/forms/21710 Individual sign-up is here: https://orgsync.com/25319/forms/22422
- A few spots are still open for Red Spruce Tree Planting at the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday, September 21st. The bus will depart campus at 7:30 am and return at approximately 3:30 pm. Questions? Do you want to help restore the natural habitat of Canaan Valley? E-mail Katie Loudin to reserve your spot today!
- DONATIONS NEEDED! Contribute to WVWC's Spread the Love Peanut Butter Drive as part of West Virginia's "Day to Serve." Donations of peanut butter are much needed and will be accepted until September 27th. You can drop off any variety of peanut butter, non-perishable food items, or a cash/check donation (payable to WVWC) in the Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development (behind the campus bookstore). More information at www.daytoserve.org.
WE LEAD News & Opportunities
- The Appalachian Experience Team is going tree planting this Saturday, September 21st. See "Upcoming Community Engagement Opportunities" for more information!
- The Annual Events Team still needs volunteers for the annual Upshur County Children's Festival this Saturday, September 21st. See "Upcoming Community Engagement Opportunities" for more information!
- The Children & Youth Team is offering a Love & Logic training open to all on Wednesday, September 25th at 7 pm in the Social Hall. Love & Logic is a behavior management program which encourages children to take ownership and responsibility for their actions without frustration or anger. The training is being given by local administrator and West Virginia's National Distinguished Principal, Dr. Sara Stankus. Questions? E-mail Tracey Gregory at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Eco/Sustainability Team is holding a POSTER CONTEST with a $25 gift card given to winners as part of the nationwide Green Apple Day of Service. Posters are due in the Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development on Wednesday, September 25th by 5 pm. Poster themes include Clean Air, Water Conservation, Recycling, and Green Energy. Judging criteria will be on originality/creativity; clarity of message; and texture (materials used as part of the poster such as bottles, paper, leaves, etc.) Poster paper is available for pickup in the CCE (behind the campus bookstore). Questions? E-mail Bethany Jordan or Asa Nichols.
- The Health & Wellness Team is holding the first Stockert Olympics on Saturday, September 28th from 1-4 pm at Stockert Youth Center. Team leaders plan to have fun stations for children to interact with, including a water balloon toss, sack races, and a hands-on activity around correct portion sizes. Please contact Amanda Davis, Breanna Taylor, or Andrea Jones for more information or if you are interested in volunteering!
- The Animal Welfare Team will be holding their third annual Bake Sale to Benefit the Lewis-Upshur Animal Shelter on Sunday, September 29th at Walmart from 10 am-3 pm. If you are willing to donate baked goods or if you would like to volunteer at the sale, please contact Briana Shockey, Camie Fenz, or Lauren Graham.
- The Children & Youth Team will be visiting the Rubenstein Juvenile Center in Davis, WV to work with boys in that correctional facility on Sunday, September 29th. The young men need positive role models and love to interact with college students. For more information, contact Morgan Downing, Tracey Gregory, or KC Green.
Upcoming Issue Team Meetings...don't miss these opportunities to learn more and get involved in the issues you care about!
- Social Justice Team Weekly Meetings, every Wednesday, 8 pm in the CCE (located behind the campus bookstore)
- Appalachian Experience Team Meetings, every other Thursday (Sept. 12th & 26th), 6 pm in the CCE
- Eco/Sustainability Team Meetings, every other Tuesday (Sept 17th & Oct. 1), 7 pm in the CCE
It's Your Time, Take the Lead.
LEAP Enrollment Ends September 18th!
LEAP is a co-curricular leadership certificate program which seeks to prepare students for leadership roles and responsibilities in service to the college and community. LEAP accomplishes its mission through education, development, and training in a series of sessions and activities on the West Virginia Wesleyan College campus. Students will develop a personal leadership model grounded in theory and research aligned with the mission of West Virginia Wesleyan College.
Enrollment in the program is $15 and covers the cost of each student's StrengthsFinder Assessment access code and program materials. Talk to Jessica Wagner in the Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development (behind the campus bookstore) today! The deadline for enrolling in LEAP this semester is September 18th!
Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development
We are located behind the campus bookstore on the second floor of the Benedum Campus Center. Check out the CCE website for upcoming events and more information about our programs!