Lipinczyk & Edwards Updates
Week of May 23, 2016
Monday, May 23- Battle of the Books School Competition
Thursday, May 26- Field Trip to Animal Kingdom
The 2016 Battle of the Books competition took place today. We are so proud of our Battle team members!
ELA Instructional Focus...
Students will continue to...
- Analyze primary and secondary sources.
- Read purposefully and select and record relevant, factual information and cite sources.
- Identify Greek and Latin roots.
- Continue with "Typing Club" daily to increase keyboarding skills.
STEM Unit of Study: Students are working on a STEM Unit of Study on Interdependence over the new couple of weeks.
HOMEWORK: 1 Reading Response due Friday! Read every night for 30 minutes!
Math Instructional Focus...
Our instructional focus from now to the end of the school year will be preparing for 5th grade math. This week students will:
- Use patterns to divide by multiples of ten.
- Model division with 2-Digit Divisors.
- Use place value to read, write and represent decimals.
- Round decimals (using amounts of money) to the nearest dollar.
- Use place value to compare decimals.
Click the links below for Study Jams videos related to our Math topics for this week:
Myon Text related to our instructional focus this week:
Unusual and Awesome Jobs Using Math-Lisa M. Bolt Simmons
Unusual and Awesome Jobs Using Technology-Linda LeBoutillier
Science Instructional Focus...
Our instructional focus this week in Science will be on the flow of energy in a food chain.
- Explain that animals, including humans, cannot make their own food and that when animals eat plants or other animals, the energy stored in the food source is passed to them.
- Trace the flow of energy from the Sun as it is transferred along the food chain through the producers to the consumers.
Click on the links below for Study Jams video's related to our Science topics this week:
Myon text related to our instructional focus this week:
Food Chains and Webs-The Web of Life Freestyle
The World of Food Chains with Max Axiom-Liam O'Donnell
World of Food Chains – Cynthia Martin
Ocean Food Chain
Mountain Food Chain
Desert Food Chain