Cordata Elementary School
Welcome Back Newsletter
Welcome Back, Bobcats!
Our Meet and Greet will take place on Tuesday, August 28, from 2:00-3:00 pm. Come and meet your teacher, explore your new classroom, and connect with our PTA and school staff. We'll be here to answer questions about transportation, volunteering at school, joining our PTA, after-school enrichment clubs, and anything else to help your school year get off to a great start!
- School begins for grades 1 through 5 on Wednesday, August 29. The school day is 8:00-2:30 on Wednesday the 29th, as well as Thursday, August 30 and Friday, August 31. (Thursday early releases begin on Thursday, Sept. 6)
- School begins for kindergarteners on Thursday, August 30. The schedule on Aug. 30 and 31 will be 8:00-12:45, with full school days starting on Tuesday, Sept. 4.
- School begins for our pre-kindergarten classes on August 31.
Say HELLO to some new Cordata staff members
- Amanda Byers, LIfe Skills Paraeducator
- Cindy Starr, Speech Language Pathologist
- Graham Essex, 5th grade teacher
- Janet Greger, ELL Specialist
- Jim Eisenhart, Early Childhood Paraeducator
- Linda Giles, 5th grade teacher
- Lindsey Pollino, School Psychologist
- Maddi Miller, Speech Language Pathologist
- Megan Moreno, Occupational Therapist
- Meredith Gant, Primary Life Skills teacher
- Michelle Hornof, Technology Coach, Title 1 Reading, and HCL support
- Minh Nguyen, Assistant Principal
- Nick Bild, 2nd grade teacher
- Quinn Reno, 2nd grade teacher
- Sarah MacLeod, Kindergarten teacher
Tea and Tissues for Kindergarten Families
Thursday, Aug. 30th, 8am
Cordata Elementary School Cafeteria
We know that sending your children off to their first day of kindergarten is a big deal! If you're able to bring your child to school on their first day, August 30, you are welcome to accompany them to the playground, and join them as they line up for their first day of school. Staff members will be there to show you and your child where their line-up spot will be! After you walk your child to the classroom and give them a hug and a high-five to start their day, we invite you to join us for Tea and Tissues in the cafeteria. (Yep, tissues, because I know I needed them when I sent my own kids off for their first day!) Meet our principal and other staff members, connect with our PTA, and ask any questions you have about the upcoming year!
Would you like to volunteer?
Be sure to mention your interest in supporting Cordata Elementary School!
Building a positive culture for learning at Cordata
In the early weeks of the school year, we will teach our students what it means to be safe, responsible and respectful all around our school. But it doesn't stop there! Social Emotional Learning continues in our classrooms throughout the year as children learn to identify and manage their emotions, build strong relationships with their peers and the adults in our learning community, and to problem solve with conflicts arise. We know that when we're learning something new, we sometimes make mistakes. At Cordata, we see behavioral mistakes as opportunities for learning, and we strive to help our students learn and grow through our disciplinary processes. We also believe that families are our partners in this work and we will keep in communication with you when we need to partner in support of kids' social and emotional learning!
If you have questions or concerns about our school culture or student behaviors, please call our office. Principal Analisa Ficklin or Assistant Principal Mingh Nguyen will connect with you to see how we can help.
Safe Schools Anonymous Reporting:
Bellingham Public Schools is now using Safe Schools Alert, which is another way to alert us of safety concerns. Safe Schools Alert allows students and families to anonymously report safety concerns including bullying, harassment, intimidation and more.
Text or phone: 844-310-9560
Mark your calendars!
- Sept. 3 - Labor Day, no school
- Sept. 10 - 1st General PTA Meeting - Cordata Music room from 5:30-6:45 pm - Childcare is provided
- Sept. 13 - Open House for grades 3 through 5 - Tentative time is 6:00-7:00 pm, but stay tuned for more information
- Sept. 14 thru 16 - PTA fundraiser at Menchies, more information to come
- Sept. 18 - Hearing and Vision testing at Cordata
- Sept. 25 - Individual Student Picture Day
- Sept. 27 - Open House for kindergarten through 2nd grade - Tentative time is 6:00-7:00 pm, but stay tuned for more information
- October 5 - Pumpkin Fun Run