FAC Weekly Update
April 29, 2022
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
What a great week at the FAC! Our Theatre students dazzled the audience at their Tuesday performance, and the Voice studio had an amazing opening night of the Voice Scenes program. Remember - all are welcome to attend our performances. It is wonderful to be back to a normal performing environment, and to feel the thrill of applause from our FAC community.
Here's the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Self-Sabotage: Getting Out of Your Own Way (part 1)
Self-Sabotaging Traits and Remedies:
1. A poor understanding of people.
- Remedy - help people find the key to their life, show them their benefits, give them encouragement.
2. Blaming others. When you blame others, you give them control over your life and see yourself as a victim.
- Remedy - assume you are part of the problem, accept responsibility.
3. Lack of focus. A lack of focus wastes time and misuses resources.
- Remedy - Ask yourself: What are my interests? What are my opportunities? What are my resources?
4. Not being informed. Facts mean very little until they are rightly understood, related, and interpreted.
- Remedy - Make no decisions without all of the information.
5. Surrounding yourself with negative people. "There are two things that determine what you will be in the next five years: what you read, and who you associate with." - Charles Jones
- Remedy - before you join a group, ask: Do they believe in me? Do they have my intentions at heart? Can they help me? If they help me, will it change them?
Dr. John C. Maxwell, The Maxwell Leadership Podcast
Thank you - from the FAC Parent Guild
Thank you to everyone who has been able to donate to our Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6). Your generosity has made it possible for us to have some really great plans in the works to show our faculty and staff how wonderful we think they are. As a group – we’ve really come together to make this happen!
FAC Parent Guild TreasurerKathy.firstname.lastname@example.org
The FAC Parent Guild has several volunteer opportunities next week, May 2-6! Most shifts will only take 30 minutes to an hour of your time, and the tasks are very easy. All parents are invited to help out, no matter which program your student is enrolled in. First time volunteers are welcome!
Click here for daytime shifts during Faculty and Staff Appreciation Week: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090949A9AB23A7F85-facdaytime
Click here if you're able to help sell tickets on Thursday evening (May 5th 6:25-7:00pm): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090949A9AB23A7F85-facevening
Feel free to share these links with other FAC parents who might like to volunteer next week! If you're not available to help this week but would like to hear about future volunteer needs, please email Niki Peters (FAC Parent Guild Volunteer Coordinator) at email@example.com.
SCPTA Reflection Awards
- Mackenzie Hayes - Award of Merit, Dance Choreography
- Prosser Heroman - Award of Merit, Film Production
- Victoria Olson - Award of Merit, Music Composition
- Ian Tyner - Award of Merit, Music Composition
FAC PERFORMANCES - NEXT WEEK
- On Tuesday, May 3 at 7:00 p.m., students in the AM and PM Chamber Strings Studios will present their Spring Recital. Admission is free, donations are welcome.
- On Wednesday and Thursday, May 4 and 5, students from the Advanced Topics in Theatre class are presenting their performance at 7:00 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre. Admission is $5, payable in cash or via your Venmo app.
FAC STUDENTS PERFORMING IN THE COMMUNITY
Artisphere - May 6-8
- Located at the south end of the festival at Main and Wardlaw
Music and Theatre - https://artisphere.org/performing-arts-schedule/
- Friday, May 6 at 5:00 p.m. - FAC Theatre performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
- Saturday, May 7 at 5:00 p.m. - FAC Jazz performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
- Sunday, May 8 at 11:00 a.m. - FAC Chamber Strings performing at the Furman University Performance Plaza
Greenville County Youth Orchestras - Spring Concerts
SPRING CHAMBER MUSIC
Saturday, May 7, 2022 7:30 PM; Peace Center Gunter Theater
SPRING ORCHESTRAS CONCERT
Tuesday, May 10, 2022 7:00 PM; Peace Center Concert Hall
For more information - https://gcyo.net/season/
Carolina Youth Symphony - May 8, 2022
Carolina Youth Symphony (CYS) Senior Honors Concert
May 8, 2022
Tickets and audio/video recordings may be purchased at the door (cash/check) or online via Eventbrite.
FAC Jazz All-Stars at Genevieve's
Wednesday, May 11
Poetry Readings - May 14 at the Velo Fellow
The Sound of Music - SC Children's Theatre
- Lexi Howard (Grade 11, Voice)
- Christiana Negron (Grade 12, Theatre)
- Claire Shirley (Grade 10, Voice)
- Hunter Ballard (Grade 11, Voice)
- Danielle Knox (FAC Voice Instructor and Music Department Chair)
Course Opportunities for the 2022-2023 School Year
ELEVATE Ticket and Sponsorship Opportunities
Is Your Child Performing in the Community? The FAC is happy to publicize public performances and art exhibitions that feature our students. Please email Mr. Popat with any details of current or upcoming performances so that we can get the word out to our FAC Family!
Has your child earned an accolade that we should know about?
Important Dates/Upcoming Events
- May 3 - Strings Chamber Music Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 4 and 5 - Theatre Performance Lab, 7:00 p.m., Black Box Theatre
- May 9 - Saxophone Quartet Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 11 - FAC Jazz All-Stars at the Peace Center, 7:30 p.m., Genevieve's
- May 13 - Elevate Downtown Showcase, 6:00 p.m. Cocktail Hour, 7:00 p.m. Performance; Gunter Theater (ticketed event)
- May 16 - Preston Spisak: Senior Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 21 - Senior Dance Showcase - Dance Arts Greenville, 2:00 p.m.
- May 23 - Aidan Wilson: Senior Recital, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- May 24 - Commencement Rehearsal for Seniors, 4:30 p.m., WHHS Auditorium
- May 25 - FAC Commencement, 6:00 p.m., WHHS Auditorium (ticketed event)
- May 27 - FAC Film Screening, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.