Bennington South Middle School
The 2023-2024 school year is off to a great start at BSMS! Thank you, families, for your support as we get the school year underway. Our staff has been working incredibly hard for the first 13 days of the school year to help students get off to the best possible start. We look forward to continuing to work as a team to provide your child with the best educational experience.
With September upon us, we will be kicking off the fall sports season and our school clubs will start meeting this month. You can visit our school website to view our club schedule and upcoming activities or by clicking here. Research shows that students who are involved in at least one school activity will be more successful in school. We hope that every student will try at least one club, sport, or activity this school year! If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our Assistant Principal/Activities Director, Erika Hiemstra (email@example.com).
The end of Hexter 1 is September 26th. Grades are live and can be accessed via NebSIS, which can be found on our school website. Please take the time to look over grades with your student at this time to help them finish the hexter on a positive note. Daily assignments (Homework Calendar) can be accessed on the school's website and are updated on Monday morning of each week.
Our newsletter is one way in which we maintain communication between school and home. It will provide a variety of academic updates, club and activity information, important dates, and items of interest. Thank you for taking the time to read! I am very proud to be part of such a strong learning community here at Bennington South Middle School and am excited to work together to help our students learn, grow, and lead.
As a reminder, please continue to utilize Lines 1 & 2 in the AM when dropping off students. This will help with congestion and continue to get students dropped off in a timely manner. A staff member will be present at the front crosswalk beginning at 7:35am to help students cross safely.
4 - Labor Day (NO SCHOOL)
11- Board of Education Meeting
13 - Early Dismissal at 11:50am
15 - Back 2 School Bash + Watch Party
HEXTER DATES 2023-2024
Hexter 1 - Aug 16 - Sept 26
Hexter 2 - Sept 27 - Nov 7
Hexter 3 - Nov 8 - Dec 21
Hexter 4 - Jan 3 - Feb 20
Hexter 5 - Feb 21 - April 11
Hexter 6 - April 12- May 24
(MS grading periods are every 6 weeks)
Picture Retake Day
Buy Now & Save Money!
It's that time of year again to order your yearbooks for 2024!
List of Clubs....
- Art Club
- Book Club
- Cooking Club
- Diversity Club
- Fitness Club
- Game Club
- Jazz Band
- Marimba Ensemble
- Math Club
- Science Club
- Service Club
- Student Senate
- Writing Club
Here is a link to our clubs calendar!
9/7 - 8th game @ Elkhorn Valley View Middle School (4:15pm)
9/7 - 7th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/12 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/12 - 7th game @ Elkhorn North Ridge Middle School (4:15pm)
9/19 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:00pm)
9/19 - 7th game @ Norris Middle School (4:00pm)
9/26 - 8th game @ Gretna Middle School (4:00pm)
9/26 - 7th game @ BSMS (4:00pm)
9/7 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/7 - 7th game @ Elkhorn Middle School (4:15)
9/11 - 8th game @ Elkhorn Grandview Middle School (4:15pm)
9/11 - 7th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/12 - Intramural @ BSMS Aux Gym (3:45pm)
9/12 - 8th game @ Elkhorn North Ridge Middle School (4:15pm)
9/12 - 7th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/14 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/14 - 7th game @ Elkhorn Ridge Middle School (4:15pm)
9/18 - Intramural @ BSMS Aux Gym (3:45pm)
9/18 - 8th game @ Waverly Middle School (4:15pm)
9/18 - 7th game @ BSMS (4:15pm)
9/21 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:00pm)
9/21 - 7th game @ Gretna Aspen Creek Middle School (4:00pm)
9/26 - Intramural @ BSMS Aux Gym (3:45pm)
9/26 - 8th game @ BSMS (4:00pm)
9/26 - 7th game @ Norris Middle School (4:00pm)
CROSS COUNTRY 🏃
9/8 - MS meet @ Mahoney State Park (girls 3K-1:40pm/boys 3K-2:30pm)
9/14 - MS meet @ Blair Otte Middle School (4:00pm)
9/16 - MS meet @ Waverly High School (10:00am)
9/19 - MS meet @ Bennington High School (4:15pm)
Admissions Fees for Sporting Events
We are excited to begin activities at BSMS, with our fall athletics and clubs starting in the coming weeks!
NSAA Athletic Requirements
NSAA requirements for this upcoming school year...
1) Sports Physical (dated after May 1st) and
2) NSAA Parent Consent form
Copy of the forms are on the schools website under BSMS. Click on Parents then Documents. The forms are also available below.
NEBSIS Family Account (Parent Portal)
Student Verification - Please Complete ASAP
- Parents/guardians should have received an email notification that will include their login/password information during the middle of July.
- Review each student's informational records, and click SUBMIT once all information is updated.
- Please complete as soon as possible
- If any of the information you reviewed now...changes during the school year, please return to this Verification option to update your student's records. Once submitted, the building secretary will be notified via email of your submitted changes.
We appreciate your help in keeping your student's records updated and accurate at all times.
Free & Reduced Meal Applications Available Through Student Verification
The Free and Reduced Meal applications are now available for the 2022-23 school year. Applications need to be filled out every school year. Each family only needs to complete one application for their entire family.
New this Year! Complete the Application in Student Verification
As you are completing the student verification information online, you can now complete the Free and Reduced meal application at the same time.
For assistance on how to apply online or to obtain a printed copy of the application, please call the District Office at 402-238-3044.
2023-24 School Meals Costs
- Breakfast - $1.80
- Lunch - $2.95
- Breakfast - $0.30
- Lunch - $0.40
A la Carte
- Milk - $0.55
Lunch Accounts with Low Balances
The school year is getting ready to start! Please take this time to check your students’ meal account balances online through MySchoolBucks.com. If their balance is negative, you can securely fund their account using your credit/debit card or an e-check. You also have the option to set up AutoPay, which will automatically fund their account when the balance drops below an amount you specify.
Don’t have an account yet? Visit MySchoolBucks.com to sign up today! If you need assistance, you can find helpful how-to videos and answers to commonly asked questions by visiting MySchoolBucks.com. Or, you can contact MySchoolBucks directly by logging into your account to start a chat conversation or give them a call at (855) 832-5226.
For all other questions, please contact Bennington Nutrition Services at 402-238-3044.
Student Attendance & Medication Management
- If your student would need to miss a day or part of a day from school for any reason, a parent or guardian MUST contact BSMS attendance/health secretary, Mrs. Anne Marie Vanecek at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 402-238-3079 at extension 6202 and include the reason for the absence.
- If your student needs to leave in the middle of the day, a parent or guardian MUST come in and sign out their student in the office, prior to leaving the building. The student can ask the office staff for an ADMIT SLIP so teachers can document any missing assignments during the student’s absence.
- Tardies are assigned if a student enters the build past 8:00 am. A tardy slip will be given by the front office staff, then the student reports to class. The doors will be locked and all visitors can only access the building through the front desk security.
The following rules apply to the use and application of ALL medications at BSMS....
- Prescription Medication: The student’s parents/guardians MUST provide the school office with a written order by a physician or PA of the prescription stating the type, amount, route for the medication. Parents/guardians also need to sign and complete the Medication Authorization form (printed from the school website or at the front office) permitting the use of medication. All prescription medications MUST be transported to the office staff by the parents/ guardians of the student.
- Non-prescription medication: Parents/guardians MUST complete the same Medication Authorization form from the school as that form gives the office personnel permission to give the medication to your student. ALL medication must be in the original container with original.
We Are Hiring!
The BSBS Special Education Department is seeking applicants to work with our AMAZING students. We offer flexible scheduling options and follow the school calendar.
For additional information, please contact Lucas Apfelbeck at 402-238-3079 or apply online at https://benningtonschools.tedk12.com/hire
Notice of Non-Discrimination
The Bennington Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, color, religion, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or other protected status in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Students: Mr. Dan Bombeck, Director of Student Services, 11620 North 156th Street, P.O. Box 309, Bennington, NE 68007 (402) 238-3044 (email@example.com). Employees and Others: Dr. Matt Blomenkamp, Assistant Superintendent 11620 North 156th Street, P.O. Box 309, Bennington, NE 68007 (402) 238-3044 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Complaints or concerns involving discrimination or needs for accommodation or access should be addressed to the appropriate Coordinator. For further information about anti-discrimination laws and regulations, or to file a complaint of discrimination with the Office for Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education (OCR), please contact the OCR at 601 East 12th Street, Room 353, Kansas City, MO 64106, (800) 368-1019 (voice), Fax (816) 426-3686, (800) 537-7697 (telecommunications device for the deaf), or email@example.com.
The Bennington Public School District is committed to offering employment and educational opportunity to its employees and students in a climate free of discrimination. Accordingly, unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation of any kind by District employees, including, co-workers, non-employees (such as volunteers), third parties and others is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated.