By: N Wilmington
Did You Know...
- Followers are called Jews.
- They believe in prayer, and the Sabbath (holy day from Friday eve. to Sat. eve) following God's laws, including the 10 Commandments, to emphasize justice, and that all people are created equal.
- Some Jews only eat Kosher foods-no pork, shellfish, or mixing of milk and meat products. Bar (Boy) or Bat (Girl) mitzvah at age 13.
- Jews worship in synagogue, lead by a rabbi.
- Judaism's holy book is the Torah.
- Judaism's holy days/holidays include Rosh Hashanah (new year, fasting starts) Yom Kippur (fasting ends, celebration) Passover (Angel of Death "passed over" Hebrews who were in bondage in Egypt") and Hanukkah (celebrates miracle of oil lasting 8 days when only enough for 1 day in Temple)
- For Jews, the Western Wall (sometimes called the Wailing Wall) is in Jerusalem.
The Jewish New Year, fasting starts.
When fasting ends, and celebration starts.
When the Angel of Death "passed over" Hebrews who were in bondage in Egypt.
Celebrates the miracle of oil lasting 8 days when only enough for 1 day in temple.
Last remnant of Temple in Jerusalem.
Site of the Western/Wailing Wall.