By: Diana Gil
- The Texas Longhorn evolved in North America from descendants of cattle brought into the Americas by the Spanish in the late 1400s and early 1500s.
- In the early 1800s, wild longhorned cattle were found throughout much of Texas.
- During the California Gold Rush there was a great demand for cattle in California, therefor cattle began to be driven from Texas to meet the demand.
- The Texas Longhorn was built entirely by nature right here in North America.
- Stemming from ancestors that were the first cattle to set foot on American soil almost 500 years ago.
- Hardy, aggressive, and adaptable, the Texas Longhorns were well suited to the rigors of life
Did You Know ?
- Longhorn cattle have become a symbol of Texas
- Some horns can be twisted and others can be flat
- Texas Longhorns are known for their diverse coloring. A longhorn can be any color or mix of colors but dark red and white color mixes are the most dominant.